Chapter 10

Riley's POV
Today was the last day of school. I only have a few friends. I'm not the most sociable person. I have really bad anxiety when it comes to social situations. I got to tutor and sat in my seat. We didn't have any lessons today. Instead, we were spending the day in tutor. Mrs Johnson said that we could sit next to whoever we like. None of my friends are in my tutor group. I started to freak out a bit. I stayed in my seat at the back. Surprisingly, Lily (the girl I like), came over to me. I looked at her confused.

"Can I sit here?" She asked.

"Yeah." I said. She sat down and Mrs Johnson handed us a quiz booklet. It was about Christmas.

"Whoever gets the most questions right will get a prize." She said. Lily faced me so I looked back at her.

"Riley, I want to tell you something, I just don't want you to hate me." She said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I like you. Like, like you like you." She said and I was shocked.

"I like you too." I said and she smiled at me. Her smile was beautiful. Once everyone had finished their quizzes, we marked them and counted up our scores.

"The winner is Riley. She got every question right." Mrs Johnson said and I smiled.

"How did you get every question right?" Lily asked me.

"My dad and I love Christmas." I said.

"What about your mom?" She asked and I sighed.

"I never knew her. My dad had a one night stand with her and he didn't know she was pregnant or anything. He got a call saying that she had died and I was born." I said.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked." She said.

"No, it's okay. My dad is dating his partner who he works with. She is like a mom to me." I said and she smiled. Once school had finished, I walked home with Lily. It turns out she lives a block away from me. We talked about random stuff.

"Riley, will you go out with me?" She asked and I couldn't stop smiling.

"Yes, of course." I said. We started to lean closer to each other. Within seconds, our lips were touching. It was my first kiss and it was great. We pulled away and smiled.

"That was my first kiss." I said.

"Me too." She replied. I got home and I couldn't stop smiling.

"How was school?" Dad asked as I put my bag down.

"Good." I said. I went to my room. Seconds later, mom jumped on my bed and I giggled.

"What's got you all smiley?" She asked.

"I had a very good day." I said.

"Why?" She asked.

"First, we stayed in tutor today and she said we could sit where we want. None of my friends are in my tutor. Surprisingly, Lily came and sat next to me. We were doing a quiz and she told me she liked me. We were walking home together and she asked me if I would go out with her." I said and she smiled.

"It gets better." I said and she became intrigued.

"We kissed." I said and she shrieked.

"She's your first right?" She guessed and I nodded. She smiled. We went into the living room.

"What are you guys squealing about?" Dad asked and we laughed.

"She's growing up." Hailey said.

"Why?" He asked.

"She had her first kiss." She said.

"She what?" He asked, raising his voice a little. I was shocked. He never usually yells at me.

"Adam, calm down." Mom said.

"No I'm not going to calm down. She's 12 years old." He said.

"I'm 13 next week." I said.

"Don't answer me back." He said.

"That's how a conversation works." I said, instantly regretting it. He gave the 'excuse me?' look. I started crying and ran to my room. I curled up in a ball and laid under the covers in my bed. A few minutes later, I heard someone come in my room. I couldn't tell who it was because my back was facing the door. I saw dad sit next to me. I faced the other way and he sighed. He started stroking my back. I was mad at him, but he knows that when he rubs my back, it makes me feel better. I turned so I was facing him.

"I'm sorry Ri." He said.

"Why are you mad at me?" I asked sobbing. He pulled me close to him.

"I'm not mad at you Ri." He said.

"Then why did you yell at me?" I asked.

"I didn't mean to, I'm sorry. I just overreacted because I don't want you to grow up. I want you to stay my princess forever." He said and I smiled. I hugged him and he put my head on his chest. I stopped crying and we went and ate dinner.