thirty-eight

December 14, 2019
New York City, New York

Magical people exist. They appear out of nowhere. They are those who know how to gain trust quickly and unexpectedly. Suddenly they come into your life and they start talking about everything. When you realize it, you don't remember what your life was like before you met them.

That's what Laurel thought there, laying next to a slept George, running her hand through his light hair, staring at his beautiful, long eyelashes; memorizing every centimeter of his face before he leaves for London.

He is her magical person. Without even knowing, she trusted him for no apparent reason. And just like that he came into her life and in so little time, she fell for him.

She never thought she could feel like this in such a short period of time. But falling in love has no timing, it just happens.

Some people think is impossible to fall in love that quick, but George made the impossible become reality.

George opened her eyes slowly, and found Laurel staring at her.

"Hi," he mumbled, with his recently-woken-up husky voice.

"Hi," she replied, looking into his blue eyes. "I'm going to miss you."

"Me too," he smiled, taking her hand and playing with her fingers.

"Why you talked to me in that elevator?" she asked, resting her head on his chest.

"Because...," he started to think about the right words. "I just felt like I had to do it. You are beautiful and yes, that's the first thing I saw. But then I took the chance and fell for you without any warning. Your brain is so appealing," he smiled and kissed her head. "Why did you accepted to talk back to me?"

Laurel shrugged. "I don't have an answer for that," she shook her head. "I am unusually hard to hold onto, but since I met you, I knew I couldn't push you away."

"Do you believe in fate?" George looked into her green big eyes.

"Absolutely not," Laurel chuckled and shook her head, frowning.

"But listen," he sighed. "Here we are, all of us, searching for that slightest hint of a real connection. Some look in the wrong places and some just give up hope because in their mind they're thinking there's nobody out there for them. But we keep trying over and over again, because every once in a while, two people meet and there's that spark, because they are meant to be."

"It was an electric discharge," she shrugged, remembering the first time their hands touched by accident. "But maybe you're right. Everything happens eventually."

"I can't believe you agreed with me for the first time," he chuckled.

"I have agreed with you a bunch of times," she defended herself.

"No, you don't, you are always busy on being right."

"I was right," she nodded.

"On what now?" he rolled his eyes.

"When I decided I wanted to talk to you, too."

"Point taken," he nodded. "I want you."

Laurel laughed and turned around to kiss him. "I want you too," she smiled. "I want you to come with me to search for my dress before you leave."

"What dress?" he raised an eyebrow.

"For my opening night," she put her chin on his chest, looking directly to his eyes.

"You need a dress?" he was confused.

"Of course," she nodded. "There is a red carpet for an after party."

"Jesus Christ," he muttered. "Do I need to buy a suit?"

"If you want," she nodded.

"Fine, we'll search for it today."

●●●

"You look beautiful on that one," George smiled at her.

Laurel twirled, wearing a blue beaded dress with a mermaid cut. George nodded his head, but Laurel wrinkled her nose, not so convinced about the dress.

She went on the dressing-room again and tried another one. A white strapless gown with some crystals embroidered. But strapless is not her favorite. She shook her head and came in the dressing-room, taking the gown off and putting on her clothes again.

"I don't like none of them," she said to George.

"Let's go," he nodded and took her hand to walk out of the store. "Where do we go?"

"I have no idea," she shook her head.

"Let's go eat," he suggested.

"I don't know where you fit all the food you eat," she teased, padding on his abdomen.

"No one knows," he shook his head. "Where are you going on Holidays?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Still don't know," Laurel shook her head. "You?"

"No clue. Maybe you could come visit me," George wiggled his eyebrows.

"Yeah, maybe," she chuckled. "But I actually have to go to Mexico," she pouted. "My abuela would never forgive me if I miss holidays with them."

"Fine," George teasingly rolled his eyes. "We can't be together this Holidays, but I am pretty sure we will have a lot more."

"Of course we will," Laurel assured and nodded. "Nothing would make me happier than spending a lot of holidays with you."