Chapter 9: The Peaceful Lake and The Warring Heart

Start from the beginning

Adella: "Lady Beatrice, what in heavens are you wearing?"

Beatrice: "Huh? We are going for a hike, I suppose. This is what people in books wear to hike, in fact."

Adella: "I'm afraid you might have mistaken old adventuring novels for current fashion trends."

Beatrice: "W-what? Do I look f-foolish, in fact...?"

Adella remained silent as Beatrice turned her teary gaze to Subaru. He could tell that she put effort into her outfit and did not intend it as a joke.

Beatrice: "What about you, I suppose? Do you think Betty looks terrible, in fact?"

Subaru: "Not at all. I think you look especially cute. It actually makes me more motivated to hike!"

Adella: "Master, you can't be ser-"

Beatrice: "That settles it, I suppose! Betty is prepared, in fact. Let us be on our way!"

With newfound confidence, Beatrice flung open the front door and stepped outside. Adella gave Subaru a grave expression before moving her trunk outside. Before long, they could see a cart approach in the distance. Once the cart arrived, Beatrice was pulled into an embrace from a visibly excited Niki before they started to load the luggage on the cart. It was a small cart with open sides that had a makeshift awning to block out the sun. In all, there were two seats on each side and one seat near the driver's seat. A large blue-grey land dragon pulled the cart but the speed was significantly slower due to its age. After they had all the supplies secure, Subaru pointed out a dilemma.

Subaru: "Umm... We only have space for two to sit in here now..."

Adella: "Oh, is that so? Well, I suppose that Niki can sit on my lap. Subaru, would you mind if Lady Beatrice sat on yours?"

With this inquiry, Beatrice froze as she fought the heat rising in her cheeks. She turned her head almost robotically towards Subaru and waited for his answer.

Subaru: "Ehh? Adie, I can't make Beako do that. After all... she is a maiden-"

Beatrice: "Eep! I'LL DO IT!"

Beatrice erupted as she blurted out the sentence. A stunned Subaru looked towards her with a confused expression.

Subaru: "Huh?"

Niki: "What was that, best friend? I don't think he heard ya."

Beatrice: "I-I said I-I'll do it, I suppose... I want to s-sit o-on-"

Niki: "Yes, yes, you wanna sit on his lap, in fact. We'll be here forever at this rate! So what's yer answer, mister? Can ya provide the lady a seat or not?"

Subaru blushed as the cat girl excitedly pointed a finger at him demanding an answer.

Subaru: "I-I guess that's fine."

Niki: "Okay! Load up!"

The excited cat girl crawled into the cart and sat on Adella's lap while Subaru awkwardly took his seat. Beatrice slowly shuffled into the cart before standing in front of Subaru. She turned away from him and made sure to hold her skirt down as she gingerly hopped into his lap with a squeak. Subaru would have thought it cute had he not been distracted by the softness of her legs. He noted that she was lighter than he remembered and that the scent of her shampoo occasionally wafted near his nose. Before he realized, the cart had started moving and the intermittent bumps only made him more aware of her presence. It was Adella who interrupted his thinking by breaking the silence.

Adella: "Master Subaru, you don't have to stare so intently at Lady Beatrice. Someone might get the wrong idea."

Niki: "Yeah, yer makin' goo goo eyes and she can't even change back to her normal color!"