Hyunjin wondered absently if his eyes were healed yet or if he could walk without cringing. If he had reached a point of emotional stability or if Changbin stayed up all night every night comforting him. If Chan actually took his suggestion seriously or if Felix was going to be ripped from his hands after a few measly weeks.

Hyunjin clutched his jacket tighter and stared at the ground as his thoughts spiraled into the unknown. As much as he hated seeing Felix in physical pain, emotional pain was so much worse. It was what Felix knew, what he was used to, and Hyunjin hated that. No one deserved that kind of treatment, and Hyunjin definitely didn't want to be a part of it. They had become attached in such a short time. Sharing moments of great laughter, of horrible despair, strengths, weaknesses, and a feeling of equality. Nothing would hurt Felix more, would hurt Hyunjin more, than being separated now. Not when things were finally looking up, the worry surrounding Felix subsiding to a more mild form of concern.

Hyunjin blew out his breath and sunk further into his jacket, pulling it over his knees like a child. He reached down and flicked a rock before a rumbling sound jolted him out of his cold-induced posture. He stood, wrinkling his nose at the pain in his knees, and shaking out his legs.

The bus let out a hiss of air as it stopped in front of him. He smiled at it for the first time in his life before crossing the street and leaping up the steps.

If the other students couldn't tell from the consistent bouncing coming from Hyunjin's seat that he was excited, his eyes definitely gave him away. They stayed glued on the outside world the entire five minutes to Changbin's house, and even when they had to wait, he had his face glued to the glass. Well, not fully glued 'cause the glass was cold, but as close as possible. It was like he was a dog anticipating his owner's arrival. Not leaving his spot for a second in case he missed the two boys he had grown to care for the most in his new town exit the small blue house.

After what felt like forever, Changbin opened the door and held it for another person in a matching black beanie. Felix.

Hyunjin didn't dare smile. He couldn't tell if it was appropriate yet.

The two boys paused right outside the door and appeared to be silently communicating. Changbin tilted his head and slid his hands in his pants pockets. Felix's shoulders relaxed, and Hyunjin thought he smiled, but couldn't be sure. Then Felix nodded towards the bus and began to walk, Changbin following.

As they got closer, Hyunjin could make out how Felix was chewing on his thumb nail, other hand gripping his forearm to keep it in place. He avoided looking at the bus, almost running into it if Changbin hadn't pulled him back. Changbin had been walking confidently, but his lower lip was now between his teeth as he guided Felix to the stairs.

They made it up the stairs and down the aisle without any blunders, thanks to Felix's immediate search for 'Jinnie.' At the sight of the brown haired boy, Felix had launched down the aisle and slid into the seat with ferocious energy. His tiny limbs wound their way around Hyunjin's middle, while he mumbled a constant stream of 'I missed you's. The taller boy grinned and hugged Felix back, not forgetting to be gentle as he didn't know the state of his ribs. He of course did not forget to also tell the younger that he missed him so so much.

A scoff cut off their reunion, however, and Hyunjin looked to the left to see that Changbin had made an executive decision to sit with them on the same seat. Felix was basically on Hyunjin's lap, so it didn't matter, but it was rather strange.

"Lix, calm down. He's not going anywhere." Changbin's head fell back as he said the words, and his eyes fluttered closed.

Felix stuck his tongue out at Changbin, but he didn't see it for obvious reasons. Hyunjin's mouth curled upward, and he nuzzled his face into the beanie on Felix's head.