Chapter 13

Hyunjin was speechless.

The amount of information Chan had told him in just two minutes was astonishing and completely heartbreaking.

His mind mulled over Felix's story as Chan continued to speak.

"Now he's alone since his brothers are in college, but they made him promise that he would protect their mother. Not that she needs protecting though, 'cause his dad's like never home and when he is he just uses Felix as something to punch and hurl insults at." Only then did Chan notice Hyunjin's pale face.

"Are you okay?" Hyunjin swallowed harshly, trying to calm his swirling stomach, "If it's too much, we can stop." Chan reassured as he reached out and rubbed a few circles on Hyunjin's back.

"Wait right here." And Chan was gone.

Hyunjin lifted his legs onto the couch and snuggled sideways into the leather to try and get a little comfort from the cold material. All he could hear were his wild thoughts and Jisung's pencil furiously writing down ideas.

He didn't know why this was hitting him so hard. He had seen the damage, even the one responsible, but hearing Chan confirm his suspicions was like a punch in the gut.

"Here."

Hyunjin looked at the glass of water, then Chan's face and mumbled a small 'thanks' as he took the glass.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Both boys staring off into space, listening to Jisung hum a tune every now and then. Chan reached his hand over and massaged Hyunjin's shoulder.

"Feeling better?" Hyunjin nodded slightly, still lost in thought, "I promise the rest isn't as bad."

"How do you stop yourself from taking him home every day and cuddling him to death?" Chan directed a sad smile to the floor.

"I wish, but his responsibility to his family is too strong. He won't leave until he knows they're safe."

"He's the one that's not safe!" Hyunjin waved around his glass as water sloshed out, getting his socks wet. He quickly rubbed at his socks like it was going to help and placed the glass on the coffee table in front of them.

"I know, I know, and the school's trying, but apparently they need more evidence before they can file anything."

"Are his bruises not enough!?!" Hyunjin's raised voice startled Jisung, earning them a look of confusion. Chan waved him away with a smile before responding.

"Unfortunately Felix's dad isn't dumb and he's very good at lying. That's probably where Felix got it from."

"What, so we're just gonna wait until he beats him to death or something?"

"They were gonna send him with a camera, but Felix refused."

"Why?"

"Don't know, something about his father finding out."

"Sounds to me like he's avoiding evidence." Chan's head hit the back of the couch.

"Yeah, I thought so too, but I think he's just scared," His head rolled so he was facing Hyunjin, "wouldn't you be?"

"I don't know, I guess. I don't have a dad, let alone an abusive one." Hyunjin shrugged as Chan's eyes widened.

"Oh, sorry! I didn't know!" A laugh erupted from Hyunjin's lips.

"He doesn't even know I exist."

"You're mom never told him?"

"Nah. One night stand. She doesn't even remember his name." Hyunjin laughed at Chan's wide eyes. Chan cleared his throat and turned his head back to the ceiling.