Meet You There - Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

   Caleb and Ty headed off to get ready, leaving me to fend for myself. I found a table and put down my sweater and purse. When the bartender came around, I order a Coke. Since the show didn't start for forty minutes, there were very few people there. I listened to the other bands' sound check, waiting for Maribella to show up.

   When she walked towards the table, she looked excited. The club was filling up, so I watched as she dodged some people to get to me.

   "This is so cool," she began. "You said your uncle is playing?"

  "Oh, yeah. He's got this band, Wolfcub -"

   "Wait, your uncle is in Wolfcub?"

   I was confused. "Yeah, he's the singer. I guess he writes, too."

   "Um, my sister and her friends are obsessed with him." Her mouth was open, like she was shocked to find this out.

   "Oh, wow. Are they here?" I asked, just as shocked.

   She shook her head, sitting across from me. "No. My sister just dropped me off. I had no idea it was Wolfclub playing."

  "Oh, right. Well, I guess it was last minute. Should you text her to come back?" I asked, sipping my drink.

   Maribella shrugged. "Or I could just brag to her later about it."

   I laughed, because I hadn't expected that. I'd always wished I'd had a sibling. I had always hated being an only child. Now, of course, I had two sisters, babies, that I had never met.

   Once the first band began, Maribella and I watched, from our table. There floor was pretty full, lots of people dancing and swaying and cheering. Mostly teenagers, some older people as well. The stage lights lit up the stage, but the rest of the room was still pretty dark. I didn't know the band, but it was pretty much pop/punk. After their set, there was a bit of a break.

   "I still can't believe this," Maribella said, then laughed. "My sister is going to be so mad."

   I didn't really understand why she wouldn't just text her to let her know her favourite band was playing tonight. When I saw Caleb and Ty walk onto the stage, along with two other guys, the noise in the club escalated. I stood up and lead Maribella through the room towards the front. It didn't take long to figure out that everyone there knew Wolfcub. It also sort of annoyed me that Caleb hadn't mentioned that they were sort of famous. The music began and something about Caleb's voice and the overall feeling in the room really hit me. It was magical.

   Caleb didn't make eye contact with me until the second song, when he grinned and bobbed his head, singing about a girl with firey hair.

   A few more songs in, I needed a break from the closeness of people, so I yelled to Maribella that I was going to get a water. She was dancing around and nodded at me as I walked away, through the crowd. At the bar, I asked for two waters, as someone slipped into the spot next to me. At first, I didn't even look over, but I could feel eyes on me.

   "Hey," Bennett said softly, looking amused.

   The music was so loud that I barely heard him, but I saw his lips moving. The lips that I had kissed, in the pool. I glanced over to where Maribella was swaying, smiling in her direction. I just wanted to get back there, to leave Bennett at the bar.

   "Hi," I said, as the bartender slid two bottles of water in my direction. I put down a five dollar bill.

   "Water?" Bennett asked, seriously. "Who're you here with?"

   "None of your business," I told him, noticing two beers in front of him. "Why do you have those?"

   "I have ID," he smiled. "I'm here with my brother. He's twenty one."

   "Oh, well, I have to -"

   Bennett reached out to grab my hand. "Iris, you're really confusing."

   "Why?" I asked, shaking my head.

   He snorted. "You were kind of a bitch to me at first. Then you made out with me in the pool, then ignored me, then started flirting with me, and now this?"

   My eyes went wide. He had thought about each of our encounters as much as I had. "I told you why I can't be seen with you," I answered.

   "But you can give me your number," he suggested.

   "I could."

   "I'm practically begging here," he told me, grinning.

   I shrugged. "If you find me before the end of the set, I'll give it to you," I said, then slipped away into the crowd.