Chapter 5: The Binding

Ryn_
As she tentatively reached her hand out to the water, it shifted as if wanting to feel her touch. The very tips of her fingers made contact with it, and a cool sense of comfort spread through her hand; like the water was safe. On the inside of the water bubble luna smiled and beckoned.

Luna, too, had been one of Ryn's closer friends. Given Ryn's...family situation, the people in her year had tended to tease her. Most except for the twins, that was, who had been her best friends. She'd fit in better with the younger years whose minds were more open. Luna often wandered the halls with Ryn at night, talking with the lonely ghosts and finding all manor of creatures.
So, for all that, when Luna beckoned, Ryn answered. She stepped through the water and re-emerged on the inside, and it was heavenly.
Inside the bubble of water, mer-music echoed. It was enchanting and soft paired with the delicate moonlight that shimmered amongst the water ripples. Below, under the water skin, the mermaids swam past with their tridents in hand. A few would make eye contact before continuing on their midnight swim.
"Wonderful, isn't it?"
Luna said, and Ryn nodded without looking up, still caught on the sight. Others began to step in, and all had the same reaction.
Before long all had stepped through. The bubble expanded enough to about the size of half the great hall in the castle, and people gathered in groups. Ryn was talking quietly with George when Trelawney said,
"Now, we begin!"
She exclaimed, her hands in the air and shivering for emphasis. Ryn furrowed her brows in slight confusion, and Luna stepped to her side and whispered,
"Be careful for this next part, I'd be quite sad if you fell through and the mermaids got ahold of you."

It made sense, Ryn supposed, that Luna alone knew what was going on. Trelawney stepped aside with McGonagall, and not three seconds later did everyone see what the former was talking about. The mer-music suddenly picked up to a much faster and stronger pace, and Ryn felt her heart begin to pulse to its beat. Adrenaline raced through her veins as the sound flowed through her. The kind she only felt when she was diving through the air on her broom, hand outstretched to catch the golden snitch. It immediately made her breathing speed up, and George looked down at her, a look in his eye she couldn't quite place. His breathing was heavy as well. His chest expanding in large huffs.
Suddenly the music hit a short rise and her foot involuntarily moved forward, as if she were about to dance.
Beside her, Ginny suddenly dashed forward, hand in hand with Harry, and they danced together. It was fast and matched the pace of the music, or rather, singing. They laughed and beemed as they spun and turned. Others joined them quickly.
Without thinking she grabbed georges hand and pulled him into the flurry.
He let out a surprised yelp but went with her.
Behind him, Fred narrowed his eyes a fraction.
Ryn spun in a wide circle with George before laughing at his expression. He was wide eyed with a grin, as if he might have a lot of energy but not know what to do with it. So she giggled again and spun, closing her eyes this time.

She didn't know what the mermaids were saying, but it was wonderful. She tilted her head up and spread her arms, a feeling so light and joyful spreading through her. She wanted to stay here forever. Maybe she could. Suddenly, a tight feeling began to coil, and she opened her eyes to look down. A rope was wrapping itself around her ribs, slowly coiling, and the other end trailed off somewhere into the crowd.
She didn't care. Why would she? It was so nice in here. She had all the energy in the world and the most beautiful music to dance to.
She'd locked arms with Luna was about to turn in a tight circle when the rope around her chest suddenly gave a powerful tug.
She paused to look down at it and frowned.
Ryn shook it off and continued with Luna, laughing with her friend and dancing like partners. The rope wouldn't give up.
Tug, tug, tug, it went.
It got stronger and stronger each time it pulsed, to the point where she wasn't strong enough to fight it. Slowly, it weaved her through the crowd, and soon she was in the centre of people. They all smiled and swayed to the enchanting music.
A circle formed, and everyone clapped and stepped to the rhythm as people would step in and out of the middle.
Unintentionally, her eyes found Fred, standing across the circle with his brother, both clapping and grinning ear to ear. Only then did she realise that everyone had the same rope wrapped around them. Some had it on their legs, others hips, some even loosely around their necks. Fred's rope was around his torso, tightly.
George pushed his brother forward with a powerful shove.
Fred didn't seem to mind.
Not as he called out Angelina, and she gladly jumped from the crowd to take his hand. He spun her around and brought her close, doing a sped up mockery of the Yule ball waltz.