Chapter 7: The Wee hours

Ryn_
Because of her usual routine, Ryn awoke before the sun had risen and blinked up at the darkness of her tent. Thanks to the walking heater known as Fred Weasley she was warm and comfortable despite the English morning cold.

He snored softly behind her, his face tucked into the back of her neck. His large body was curved around hers and holding her close, one arm wrapped tightly around her middle and the other cushioning her head.
She yawned quietly and flexed her toes to try and stretch a little. Despite her quiet intentions, Fred groaned quietly and shifted behind her.
"Why are you awake?"
His voice was low and gravely and slurred terribly. Ryn closed her eyes again and said,
"I usually train around this time back in Scotland."
He hummed and said,
"Scotland? Is that where you've been hiding?"
"Yep. There's a beautiful Quidditch pitch there, so green and clear. Most days there's storm clouds, it's amazing."
They both spoke quietly, as if they might wake other people if they were too loud. Fred whispered,
"You're mad training at this time of day. Got a few screws loose, I reckon."
Ryn hummed,
"You always thought I was bonkers."
"Exactly,"
He chuckled, and shifted against her.
"You'll have to show it to me someday."
He said, and she opened her eyes.
"Show you?"
She whispered cautiously, and he nodded.
"Yeah, along with that apartment of yours, so I can crash there whenever I want to hide from mum."

She paused, and suddenly took notice that his arm was wrapped securely around her middle.
"Yeah...I'll have to."
She said. He agreed quietly, and then they were silent again for a while. She shifted again as she felt his chest expand in a deep breath and thought about everything at this point in time, and how strange it was. A few days ago she never could've dreamed that she'd be laying with Fred, talking at 4am.
"Don't you find it odd?"
She asked, and he hummed in question.
"Find what odd?"
"Me and you, us. We're laying in a bed and cuddling like a couple. And...I haven't even held anyone's hand in a year."
The confession slipped out of her mouth before she could stop it, and the sparkling gem of truth dropped and lay between them in the darkness. She hadn't even told Olivia that. But it was true. Ryn Auxuère hadn't felt the romantic touch of another person ever since she left the battle, Fred behind with it. She tensed up as she awaited his response.
"Well,"
He started, his tone cautious,
"We'd been friends for a long time before you ever saw me without trousers. Plus, we were practically that close anyway."
"...meaning?"
"Meaning this, us– 'cuddling' –as you put it, is just us. We've always been this way. No reason to question something so natural."
She thought on it, on his little analogy, and sighed as she leant back against him. He was a solid warm wall of muscle and familiarity as he welcomed her. His arm tightened a little and he tucked his nose into her hair.
~~~~
Ryn snapped her book on magical creatures that she'd gotten from Luna shut and narrowed her eyes at the twins.
They sat across from her in the library, bordering on looking insane with their wide eyes wild hair and soot marks smeared on their faces. They sat straight backed with tight lips. She set the book down gently and crossed her legs.
"Let me get this straight,"
She said, leaning back into her chair.
"You want me to tutor you? In advanced potions? I thought you guys didn't care about school."

George let out an amused snort,
"Bloody- well, yeah! Ah- at least I don't, but desperate McGee over here-"
Fred cut him off,
"What he's trying to say, is, we thought...one of us could– um –learn some...fun stuff. From potions. A-And Snape. And you."