Chapter 22

Rebecca was right about me being first for everything. Since in this case, my first strike narrowly missed her. Luckily, I'm still able to keep up with her speed; blocking her counter attack and jumping away from her follow up. As expected, she didn't approach me.

For those that aren't aware, and by those I mean everyone else in Remnant, Rebecca is one of the most ruthless and aggressive fighters I know. However, it can't match my own. Which is why when she fights me, she relies on a heavily defensive style. This is where we normally reach a stalemate. If you're familiar with the UCT, or Universal Combat Triangle, you know it's just like rock-paper-scissors. The aggressive style that I'm used to is like scissors. My main focus is to attack and do as much damage as possible. Rebecca on the other hand, because of her metal semblance hardening her body and the ability to generate weapons, has immaculate defense. In this case, she's rock. The reason we end in stalemates is because if I go to attack, she'll beat me every time with her reactive style of fighting. But if I hang back, she won't approach. But seeing as this wasn't our everyday sparring match, I prepared just in case we met in battle again.

You see, if defense beats offense, then there needs to be something to overcome defense. This is where it's necessary to have a ranged weapon. In the words of Ruby Rose, "it's also a gun". Being able to stop an opponent defending, and forcing them to approach is the paper in the equation. Rebecca has to be aggressive in order to counter me. If I have Scissors and Paper, and Rebecca had Scissors and Rock, it's still a tie. Or it would be, if she could match my aggression.

So my current plan of attack was to fire my railgun in automatic mode until she approached me. For a while, she dodged around the shots with no real effort, right before she dashed in toward me. Right before her katana connected, I flipped W/n around and deflected her attack. I swept for her legs but she backflipped away and tossed two small metal projectiles at me. Or around me, considering that I didn't need to dodge. She threw another one directly toward me. I was able to catch it and dodge her follow up strike.

Y/n: Shuriken? Really.

Rebecca: You thought I'd fight against a railgun without a backup plan?

She charged again, this time before I could react, and kicked me in the chin. I recovered and swung my scythe down which she easily sidestepped. She manifested what looked like a bo staff before it formed a large blade on the end. Almost like a thicker, curved spear. A guandao

Y/n: Let me guess. The guandao there is to cover your range handicap?

She laughed and spun her weapon around behind her back.

Rebecca: Honey, you know better than anyone I don't have a range handicap. I'm faster than your boy Mercury, and I taught you how to use hand to hand.

She went for a horizontal strike that I blocked. I spun around and hit her with the blunt side of my weapon. Anyone else would've had broken ribs. Rebecca would've at least been knocked off balance if not for the metal slowly creeping its way over her body, stopping at her neck; she never let it go further than that.

She used my moment of hesitation to land a blow across my face with the handle of her weapon, and in the leg with the blade. I attacked in retaliation which was met with a vertical slash upward, followed by a stabbing strike directly to my chest. Faster than Mercury is an understatement. But what did I expect.

Y/n: I still you're still holding on to the title of Jack of All Trades.

She smirked. Everyone knew Pyrrha Nikos. The legendary child prodigy. A win-loss record of 340 - 1. What the audience didn't know, was that Rebecca was Pyrrha's one and only loss.(EPIC FORESHADOWING)