Tearstains and Bruises

Warnings: hurt Five :(, spoilers for s2, mostly fluff

This was it. This was the last straw for Five.

You watched as he chucked the briefcase into the air, and it disappeared with a crackling sound. He cursed and tugged at his hair and started pacing.

"ONE CHANCE!!!!! MEET ME HERE IN AN HOUR AND A HALF AND NOBODY COULD DO IT!!!!!" He was angry, that much was clear. You exchanged a glance with Klaus, who still looked somewhat sick. "We had a free ticket home and THIS is what happened? We could be back in 2019, no apocalypse or anything!!!! But NOOOOOOOO this STUPID family can't do anything right!"

And then he was gone in a flash of blue.

You sighed and looked down at your feet, feeling tears prick your own eyes. Now what were you going to do? Five was the one that always had a plan, he was the one that always had hope and an idea, no matter how fragile. Now that he was ... well, hopeless, so were you. It was scary to think that in a couple days, you'd actually be dead.

Dead. Really, truly dead.

You swallowed and lifted your gaze to meet Luther's. He looked pretty defeated too. "You should probably go talk to him," he mumbled. "He'll listen to you, he'll need your company."

You nodded and walked silently out of the alley, not even looking at Klaus, who was still sprawled out across the ground.

You went into Elliott's apartment, since that was the only place Five would have gone that you could think of. The room was freezing. Blood still stained the ground and spattered the sofa and walls, a gruesome reminder of Elliott's death. You weren't sure where his body had been moved to, but you didn't particularly want to find out.

Five was sitting on the couch, his head in his hands. You went over and took a seat next to him, not saying a word. He didn't move until you put your hand on his back and murmured, "It's okay, you're not alone."

And then he cried.

It broke your heart, and you slid your arm around him and let him rest his head on your shoulder, hiding his face in the crook of your neck and letting the tears flow. You clenched your eyes shut and swallowed your own tears, instead resting your head against his and sliding your arm around his back. "It's alright, I've got you, I'm here. Let it out, it's okay."

It was the first time you'd ever seen him cry. Honestly, it scared you, and was more than a little disconcerting. But you pushed it all away because he quite clearly needed you.

At some point he sat up and swallowed harshly, moving his gaze to the opposite wall and leaning away from you. You studied his face, seeing bloodshot eyes with teardrops clinging delicately to his eyelashes. He quickly wiped them away.

You scooted closer to him and rested your head on his shoulder, knowing that he liked to feel like he was the one protecting others. He was the type of person that only needed a split second of helplessness a year, and then would don the strong facade again without a second's hesitation.

He didn't shrug you off, which surprised you, but you accepted it silently, feeling him rest his head against yours. Your eyes risked a glance up at him and saw that he had closed his eyes. Probably exhausted. I know I am, and I haven't even been through half of what he has.

"Hey love," you whispered, making him open his eyes, "It's okay. You're gonna hear that a lot, but it is. It really is okay."

"It's not, Y/N, we're gonna die. We're all going to die because of me," he choked out, a tear slipping down his cheek again. You sighed and sat up, sliding your arms around him and pulling him in for a warm hug.

He rested his head on your shoulder, hiding his face in your hair. "In what way is it your fault? You did absolutely everything you could to make sure that we had a way out of here, things just went wrong along the way. Stuff like that happens. You can't control it, even with your awesome powers."

"We're still going to die, regardless of who's fault it is," he mumbled bitterly. You'd never seen him this way before.

"Don't you dare say that until we only have a minute left before the apocalypse hits. When the clock ticks down to zero and we stop breathing, then I'll believe there are no options left, I'll believe that we've tried everything we can. But until then," You rested your forehead against his, "You're not alone. You and me, we'll find a way. We'll do everything we can to stop this apocalypse, and if we die, at least we'll die together. Okay?"

He forced a dry laugh. "That's one bleak promise."

"It's the only one I can make," you said with a small smile, seeing the light you were used to seeing enter his eyes once more. A smile tugged at your own lips as you closed your eyes, feeling his lashes flutter against your skin.

He pressed a kiss to the corner of your mouth. "Love you."

"I love you too."