Author in Training

Warnings: writing drama :'( and mostly fluff, also suspicious Hargreeves siblings

"Is Five still asleep?" Allison asked. It was breakfast, and you, Allison, Klaus, and Diego were gathered around the table, the others having either already left or slept in.

"Dunno, maybe," you said absentmindedly, poking at your pancake with the fork. Sure, they were good, but four of them was a little much. Luther always was a good cook, you thought to yourself, thinking about how he'd woken up early to make the family pancakes.

You cast a glance at the counter, where two plates sat: One for Five, and one for Pogo, who had insisted on getting some early morning Shakespeare in before breakfast. Helps wake me up he'd insisted, though you thought it would put you right to sleep.

"You good, Y/N?" Klaus asked, devouring his sixth pancake. Just the sight made your stomach turn. "You're bein' kinda quiet."

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine. Just ... tired," you added, your ears ringing with the constant clack-clack-clackity-clack of Five's computer. The sound haunted your memory and increased your exhaustion.

Footsteps sounded in the hallway as Five entered the kitchen. He muttered something, grabbed his plate of pancakes, and left.

"He didn't even make coffee," Diego mused, eyeing the retreating back of the boy as he hurried up the stairs.

You stifled a yawn. "I told him he's too addicted to it. Maybe he's trying to quit." You thought it was a weak excuse, but apparently the others bought it.

"Of course, you're the only one he'd listen to," Allison said with a kind but playful smile. Klaus rolled his eyes and winked at you, while Diego stared off sulkily at the wall.

You cleared your throat after the awkward silence and stood up. "I'm gonna go ... um ... make sure he's not suffering from withdrawl or something." You awkwardly waved at the siblings before walking out of the room, running when you were out of sight.

"She's gotta be hiding something, you know that?" Diego said suspiciously, his eyes tearing away from the wall.

"Of course she's hiding something," Allison said, tapping her fingers against the table, "But she's probably doing it for Five." At her brother's skeptical glance, she added, "If she's still like this in a couple of days, then we can ask her about it. But we don't want to pressure her. She needs to feel at home here."

"Yeah, so stop being Mr.-Everything-in-the-world-is-evil," Klaus said playfully, poking Diego's side. "You're bound to scare her off."

Meanwhile, you had slipped into Five's room, hoping to find him somewhere other than his desk. Unfortunately, you were disappointed.

"You need a break," you said softly, going over to stand behind him. You rested your arms on the back of his chair, eyeing the words on the screen.

"If I stop I'll lose the flow of it," he muttered, not even looking at you.

"You've been writing all night," you murmured, resting your chin on his head. He tried to shake you off, but you wrapped your arms around his chest. "Just an hour. Take a nap, relax. I know you need it."

"Y/N-"

"Five," you said sternly, pressing a kiss to his head to show that you weren't actually angry with him. But your tone still said not to argue.

For a moment, he was frozen, his hands in his lap, the cursor blinking away at the end of his sentance. As your eyes fluttered across the page, you caught the words adventure and tears and missing and ache.

"Nobody can tell my stories the way they come to me in my mind," he'd said. "That's why I have to write. I have to at least get them out."

"I know, Five, I write too," you sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I'd write for days if I could, but I can't. It's not healthy. Just like your coffee addiction isn't healthy, this isn't."

"What if I forget my idea?"

"Then it wasn't meant to be put on paper."

You blinked your way out of your memories. He's writing about the apocalypse. Only ... not the apocalypse he went through. You saw different names and different places, different dialogue that nobody you knew would ever use. With a small smile, you realized what he was doing. He's fictionalizing it and making a story. A tale.

"You're a genuis," you mumbled, pressing another kiss to his head.

He shivered at your touch. "Were you reading it?"

"Yes, I'm sorry, I know how it is with writing, it's special and personal but-"

He leaned back in the chair to meet your eyes. "You're the only person I'm ready to let read this. I'll always be ready to share my stories with you."

Crimson crept to your face as you pressed a quick kiss to his lips. "And I'm proud of that."

"Love you."

"Love you too."