Brokenhearted - Part 2

Warnings: some angst, Klaus interfering with love lives, minor fluff

You decided to make Five feel his own pain. Even though you were currently living at the Academy with the siblings, you didn't speak to him. You desperately wanted things to get better, but you weren't about to apologize to him. If he actually cared, if he actually loved you, then he'd apologize. To you. You were the one that was hurting, after all. You'd done nothing to hurt him. You were protecting yourself and making yourself happy, and if pushing him out of your life was part of it ... .

Then so be it.

Four days passed. Every single one of them hurt. Five was barely around, only stopping in at breakfast for a cup of coffee and a biscuit or roll before heading out again. You ignored him, though it didn't do much considering he only ever said a couple of words to his siblings, not even looking at you.

Klaus was the first to notice what was happening. He was the first the notice the stoic, icy wall between you and Five, and he felt kinda guilty about it. Of course, Ben had been guilting him about it ever since he'd slipped up and said ... what he'd say to you, but now Klaus was starting to feel the guilt himself.

"Heeeeeeeeeeey, Y/N," he said, trying to be sly but failing as he slid into a seat beside yours at breakfast one day.

You just glared at him, not really feeling like talking at the moment. Your mind was elsewhere, like it had been a lot lately.

"You doin' okay? You and ... you and Five okay?"

"Seriously Klaus?!" you snapped, slamming your hand down on the table. Thankfully, you and him (and Ben) were the only ones in there. "You're the reason all of this is happening! I was fine before this, and now ..." You took a deep breath and focused on all of your energy and impatience and annoyance, and stuffed it down and said something you weren't actually expecting.

"Thank you."

That caught Klaus off guard. Even Ben looked up in surprise. "What?"

"You ... you gave me a wake-up-call, of sorts. Thanks to you, I became more aware of what was happening and my relationship with him and I ... actually like it. I feel better." You flashed him a smile to prove that you were genuine, and realized that you actually were. For once, you felt lighter. You felt ... better. "Thank you."

And you stood up and left the room.

***************************************

Klaus panicked.

He flat out panicked.

Because unlike you, he knew how much you meant to Five. He knew that Five loved you, he knew that Five would never want harm to come to you ... or that's what he told himself as he scrambled to find his little brother.

Ben followed slowly, not liking where it was going but not having the energy to protest or try to get involved in any way.

Five was in his room, staring out of the window, tapping his pen against his knee, clearly deep in thought. He barely glanced at Klaus when he entered, but his annoyance was still clear in his voice. "What do you want?"

Klaus, of course, wasn't fazed. He closed the door and took a seat on the edge of the bed. "You're losin' her."

Five sighed and turned around to face his brother. To Klaus's surprise, he looked perfectly calm. "How many times must I tell you to get out of my love life?"

"You're not gonna have one left if you don't listen to me," Klaus said calmly, but his tone was one of warning.

When Five realized his brother was serious, he set the pen down and met his brother's gaze. It was all the permission Klaus needed to start talking.

"If you think she's gonna come running back to you, you're an idiot," Klaus started bluntly, ignoring Ben's facepalm. "She's happy without you, she told me so herself. She's not reliant on you at all, and she's happy without you-"

"You already said that," Five cut him off, his gaze cloudy.

"Well you'd better listen! I know you love her, but I've seen it with my own eyes, Five. You're losing her. She's going to do what makes her happy, which is a good thing of course, but so far it's looking like she's gonna do that without you. And I know you love her and don't want to lose her, but she doesn't know that. You're not a very readable person."

Five sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "If she doesn't know by now then she never will."

"Oh come on! You are the most ice-cold person there is! You know there's such a thing as 'showing affection', right? And you know that people like that?" Klaus leaned forward and lowered his voice. "She loved it when you held her as she fell asleep, when you kissed her and held her hand. That's what shows you love her. That and actual words, which I know you're a master of."

Five turned his gaze away, staring out at the streets. He didn't say a word.

Klaus sighed and lifted his head to look at Ben, who shrugged. "You gave it your best try," the ghost said. "Better than a lot of people could do."

Klaus nodded, cast one last look at his brother, and stood up and left.

******************************************

The next day, you returned home from your daily walk to find something unexpected.

Five was sitting on the couch with a fire blazing in the fireplace, looking uncharacteristically nervous. He leapt to his feet when you entered the room. "Y/N! Hi, hello, um, so, um-"

You cut him off when you realized how nervous and stuttery he was. It was honestly a little unnerving. "Hey Five. What's ... what're you doing?"

He cleared his throat and looked to the coffee table, with at least three bowls of different snacks on it, and at the stack of blankets and pillows on one end of the sofa. "I ... I thought we could have another movie night. Me and you."

Your heart dropped at his words. The very least you were expecting, hoping for, was an apology. Even a minor one. You knew that Klaus had been rushing back and forth between the two of you, trying to sort things out, so Five had no excuse to not know that he had hurt you.

But then......he kept talking.

"I'm sorry, Y/N, I know you're hurt, I hurt you and I'm sorry, you don't deserve to feel that way, you never deserved any of that pain ... ." he trailed off, looking away, his eyes glassy. "I love you, but you're better off without me. I'm just going to end up unintentionally hurting you again, and you don't deserve that."

Your heart broke. "Hey, no, it's okay," you murmured, taking a step closer to him. "It's not ... I love you too. I think we just ... need a break. Needed a break. I still love you," you added with a small smile, meeting his eyes. "I just wasn't sure if you actually loved me."

He exhaled sharply, taking a moment to gather his thoughts before saying, "I do, I really do, I got caught up in a ... lot of stuff, but I won't anymore. Klaus, oddly enough, talked some sense into me. He helped me a lot, but don't tell him that, he'll only end up getting a big head." You smiled, and so did he. "But I'm back. And ... I'm not leaving. As much."

"I suppose that's enough for now," you mumbled, pulling him into a warm hug.

He pressed his face into your shoulder. "I hope so."