chapter one

A summer morning...

JJ's POV

Five am. Early rise as always. 

I turned my head to see Emily had already gotten out of bed. I groaned and pulled myself up to start getting ready.

"Morning." She said as I walked into the bathroom.

"Morning Em."

We kissed and both got dressed and ready for the day. 

She headed downstairs before me to make us coffee and breakfast. Before heading down with her I peaked my head into Ella's room and saw she was still asleep. She would be up soon enough as we had to take her to the BAU anyways.

Ella Prentiss-Jareau. Our first born and only child. Fell into our situation when she was only two. She was sixteen now.

As I finally made it downstairs I heard her alarm start to go off.

"Ready for the day JJ?"

"Not even close to ready."

"Me too. Let's hope she hurries up this time. Can't have her make us late again."

She nodded and laughed as we saw a very tired teenager walk down the stairs and into the kitchen.

She was already nicely dressed and seemed like she was ready for the day.

She walked straight to the fridge, grabbing fruits for her smoothie when Em coughed under her breath.

"Good morning to you too El."

"Oh, sorry. Good morning mom. Good morning mama."

"Good morning Ella." I said grabbing all my paper work. Wouldn't take too long before everyone was in the car.

At the BAU...

"Let's go. We need to get you settled until someone can pick you up and take you to dance."

"Alex can probably take me."

I was about to say something when Em chimed in.

"Maybe if you were able to drive we wouldn't have this issue."

"I can drive in a month."

Before they began to argue I cut in.

"Yes, ask Alex. Pay her for gas."

She nodded as we walked out of the elevator to see everyone getting ready and rushing paperwork. 

Ella's POV

I was used to them leaving. Used to having to find other ways to stay busy. Having to find someone to watch me. 

I really should not complain.

I lived a good life. I had friends. All A's. A stable-ish family. A decent dance career.

My moms saved me. I don't remember life before them but I know I couldn't imagine a life without them.

Here I am. Sitting at the BAU. In my moms office. As I do everyday. Taking online classes to boost my GPA. Trying my hardest to be good enough. To be perfect.

ALEX

me: can you take me to dance
alex: no
alex: im kidding. yes i can
me: thanks, my moms will pay you for gas
alex: are you really stuck at that office all summer?
me: yes alex, i need to get my classes done to get in a good college and get in the BAU like my moms
alex: you are way too much of an over achiever 
me: be quiet 

I looked up from my phone when I was my parents wave bye.

Who knows when they would be back.

Attention to math Ella. Only three hours of school today. Then dance. Then home alone again.