14

The face hidden behind a mask isn't always a pretty one.

"Good morning, Nappy No More. Pasha speaking."

"Miss Pasha, girl, you still ain't said shit 'bout me comin' through to get my hair did, goddammit. You saw me wearin' that ole nasty head wrap last night. After I left y'all asses last night, I got to the club just in time to see me thirty minutes of them ole oily dingdongs swingin', then I tore the dance floor up. Chunky Monkey did me right, goddammit. Oooh, yes, sugah-boo. I dropped it down so low I done sweated this ole nasty mop out."

I shake my head, baffled by how over-the-top Cassandra is; yet, so unfazed by the fact that she has a dead body on her hands. I'm still in shock that she actually
killed
JT. And I'm even more stunned and silently awed at how she can keep it moving, doing her, acting like what she did is no big deal.

I shudder.

Somehow, although Cassandra didn't kill him on my behalf, I feel as if I owe her for doing what she did. That nigga deserved to die. And hearing the news of her killing JT after he beat her and tried to rape her, for some reason, liberated me. It confirmed my pain. It authenticated my burning desire for vengeance. Now he's one less nigga I gotta do in. Still, a part of me feels like she stole my moment, wishing I could have been there to see his demise. I would have loved to look in that nigga's eyes before he took his last breath. I would have loved to be the last face that nigga saw before she snatched his breath away. Oh well.

I fight a yawn back.
I'm exhausted.

After Booty left up out of here, Mona broke down again. And it scared me. I thought she was having a nervous breakdown the way she screamed and cried, saying how she felt so guilty for secretly wanting JT dead. How at first she was relieved that someone had finally did him in. She kept talking in riddles. Kept alluding to him fucking her life up. Then in the next breath, she was saying how much she loved him. How much her heart ached that he was gone. She had me confused. I literally held her in my arms until she was finally able to calm down. Then I asked her what family secret Booty was talking about. And why it had her looking as if she was about to pass out.

She covered her face in her hands, quietly sobbing. We sat in my office for almost ten minutes before she finally blurted out, "Jaheim molested me when I was eleven years old."

My eyes widened in shock, disgust, and then filled with sadness for her.
That fucking savage!
I asked her if she had ever told anyone. She said no. Said she was afraid to.

"Oh, Mona, I'm so sorry to hear this. Was it only once?"

She shook her head. Told me no. That he had been going on for almost three years. At first it was only kissing and touching. Then feeling on her chest to sucking on her nipples, then rubbing between her legs. Then over time it went from licking her pussy to him wanting her to touch his dick, then kiss his dick, then suck on it. Then it went to him finger-fucking her. Then full-fledged fucking by the time she was twelve.

I gasped, feeling tears well up in my own eyes.

From what I remember about his delinquent ass through Jasper, he was sent to live with Mona and her family when he was like ten. Before that he had been living with his mother in Connecticut where they are all from. But he was constantly in and out of trouble, always fighting and hanging out with the wrong crowd all hours of the night. He had even been arrested a few times for breaking into cars with a group of older boys. JT was the one that no one's parents ever wanted their kids to play with because he was so thuggish and grown for his age.

"When did it finally stop?" I asked, clasping her hands into mine. She told me when she turned fourteen. Right after he got sent to juvie for a gun charge.