Prologue

1960 London

The cool breeze swinging my hair behind me as I bolted through the trees.  My speed never slowing down as my bare feet ran across the frosted grass, unbothered from the cold.  Cold was what I was use to, it was what I had to learn to deal with.  I had a good head start but the mistress in his bed would hopefully keep him occupied long enough.

"Victoria!" Claude's booming voice echoed in the air. 

Perfect.

Pushing myself harder, he'd surely catch me if I didn't keep up my speed.  But I refused to go back to him.  He turned me, kidnapped me, killed my family.  But insisted it was all because he loved me.  Bullshit.  There was no way in hell I would go back with him.  No amount of money, gifts, priceless jewels would ever change my mind.

I could smell the ocean getting closer but I knew he was catching up, I could faintly make out the crunching of his angry footsteps.

"Get back here now!" He bellowed.

If I could make it to the ocean my scent would get muddied and it would be harder for him to find me.  I'd take a straight shot to America. I would swim around all the continents three times if it meant he couldn't find me.  I waited 50 years for this moment, where Claude's guard was finally down enough that he wouldn't think I'd bolt.  He was wrong. I couldn't fake kindness with this monster any longer.  I would go out in broad daylight and kill myself before ever going back.  His darkness affected my life long enough.  

The water was beneath my feet before I could register it.  Diving in, staying below the surface. My eyes adjusting to the salty ocean quickly as I swam as fast as possible.

I can only hope that I'm quick enough.