The return of the superior Edwards'

■■■

Leaving the kitchen, Hamilton saw his mother entering the house with arms wide open while his father was struggling to enter with all the bags in hand. Caroline's smile grew brighter when she saw her son whom she hadn't seen for months. She pulled him into a hug and started to kiss his cheeks. "How on earth did you manage to get even fitter? I missed you so much, my handsome boy." Caroline said with a laugh.

Benedict finally settled the bags down and Hamilton was surprised when he saw his face. "What the bloody hell did you do to your face?" Hamilton asked after his mother released him. His father looked pretty much the same apart from the brown beard growing on his face. "Don't you start as well," Benedict said with a groan as he rubbed his new beard self-consciously.

"Why is there a man standing in our house?" Benedict asked when he saw Gideon who was standing awkwardly at the side. "Oh, that's Gideon, my friend from Charlotte Town. I wrote to you in a letter that he is staying for a while." Hamilton explained and Benedict gave a look of recollection. "Oh, yes, now I remember. Benedict Edwards, it is nice to meet you, Mister Gallagher." Benedict introduced himself as he shook his head.

"Likewise, sir. Sorry if I'm intruding." Gideon apologised. Caroline scoffed. "Don't be ludicrous. This house is big enough for one more person."

"I thought you still had a couple of weeks left," Hamilton said as he took his mother's coat and hung it by the door. "What can I say, I missed my little children. Did your result come in, darling?" Caroline asked as she entered the living room. The others followed her as she sat by the table. Gideon kept himself a few steps back but Caroline quickly motioned him to join them.

Hamilton thought about it, a couple of weeks ago, he had to do an exam to get his licence. He had finished his studies and got his degrees back in London, all he had to do is finish his doctorial studies and do an exam for the licence. Now all he had to do is wait for the letter to come.

"It should arrive in a week or two. I'm quite nervous if I were to tell the truth." Hamilton admitted. Benedict reached over and ruffled Hamilton's hair much to the latter's dismay. "You'll pass. I'm sure that you've noticed Mr Gallagher, but my son is a bright young man."

Gideon smiled. "I noticed almost immediately sir, and you can call me Gideon. There is no need for the formalities." Gideon offered. "Then you must call me Benedict. It is only fair." Benedict replied rather fondly.

"How are Victoria and Edward doing? We wanted to arrive while they're still at school to surprise them. We also got quite somethings for you, I'm sure you will love them." Caroline explained. "They're doing well. And let us hope that it's a better surprise than father's new facial hair." Hamilton joked.

Benedict sighed, "Complain all you want, but I'm keeping it."

"I think that it suits you a lot, Benedict," Gideon interjected much to the pleasure of Benedict. "Son, don't encourage him," Caroline said as she put a hand on his as a warning. "You're getting rid of that monstrosity even if I have to shave it while you are sleeping." Seeing his wife's glare, Benedict inched his chair further away from hers for safety measures.

■■■

"You should've stopped him from getting on that steamship, Victoria. If Gilbert falls overboard and drowns, it'll all be your fault." Ruby said while they sat down at lunch.

Victoria tore her gaze from where Cole was sitting alone in the corner of the room and frowned at Ruby. "I am fairly certain that Gilbert is smart enough to not let himself fall off a ship," Victoria replied.

"He'd come home soon enough if he knew there was gold on his farm," Josie stated and then gave Victoria the side-eye. Victoria sighed. "I already wrote the letter, I'm going to send it as soon as I get home. Here you can even see it." Victoria reached into her pocket and handed it to Ruby who almost tore it from her grasp.

"He looks so awfully lonely," Anne said as she too noticed how Cole had isolated himself.

"I think he's more sad and handsome than lonely," Josie added.

"There is no boy more sad and handsome than Gilbert Blythe," Ruby added, as she looked up from the letter and gave it back to Victoria.

"Maybe we should join him, I remember how I felt when I first got here and was alone because I didn't know anyone," Victoria explained and Anne nodded immediately in agreement. "I know just how that feels as well," Anne said as she started packing her things and Victoria quickly followed her actions.

"Your drawing was exquisite. It brought Camelot to life. Plus, Billy Andrews is a barbarian." Anne said as she settled down next to Cole. Diana and Victoria took Anne's lead and sat besides Cole. "I didn't manage to take a peek at your drawing but I'm sure that it was brilliant. I am, however, very certain that Billy is indeed a wanker." Victoria commented as she offered Cole a small slice of apple pie. Cole smiled and took the piece causing Victoria to smile in return.

"Aren't you girls coming over?" Diana called out to the other girls who were seated while Ruby was already making her way towards them. Jane and Tillie left Josie seated by herself as everyone was preoccupied with Diana's splendid strawberry tarts.

"Thank you," Cole replied gratefully after he got offered a strawberry tart. "I never knew that you could draw. Have you been doing it for long? " Victoria asked, trying the break the ice. "I have actually, I just don't like showing them off. But I can show you sometimes if you would like." Cole offered.

"I would love that. I wish I could draw but I'm horrible at it." Victoria admitted. "I'm sure that's not true. You're probably being overdramatic." Victoria nodded at Cole's words. "That is indeed true, but not in this context," Victoria admitted, causing a set of laughs to escape Cole, and Ruby and Diana to nod with agreement.

"How about this? I teach you some tips on how to draw and you teach me the meanings of some of the words and phrases that you say." Cole suggested as he offered Victoria a hand.

Victoria grinned brightly and didn't hesitate to shake it "Brilliant! You have yourself a deal."

■■■

So, I had a dream a couple of nights ago where I wrote a book called :

'The definitely, totally platonic relationship of Hamilton Edwards and Gideon Gallagher.'

Two blokes living in the same apartment, one room apart cause they're not gay.

Speaking of them, do you guys enjoy reading about them? Because I have more in mind surrounding the two, but I don't know whether or not you want to read about them since they might take some focus away from Victoria and Gilbert's story.

Also, this didn't seem too good, sorry for the result y'all.