The Christmas Pantomime

■■■

"Am I putting this on straight?" Hamilton asked. He took a step back from the Christmas tree and eyed the star on the tip of it.

"Hamilton, that's the most lopsided thing I have ever seen," Caroline added with a frown as she passed a wrapped present to Victoria.

It was Christmas morning and the Edwards family were woken up early by Edward who wanted to open the presents as soon as possible.

Much to everyone's surprise, and Caroline's anger, Benedict had gifted his youngest with an adorable King Charles Spaniel.

It all went well until the puppy decided that he wanted to make the Christmas tree his territory. Benedict almost pushed the tree over as he had sprinted to prevent the dog's efforts.

"What do you mean? It's perfectly symmetrical." Hamilton said with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Sweetheart, it's not. Benedict, is the star on straight?"

Benedict pulled his gaze off the dog and his son who were getting used to each other and eyed the star. "Obviously." He stated.

Caroline looked at her daughter imcredilously who shrugged in response. "At what time is the panto tonight?"

"Seven. But I should be there at least an hour and a half before. Oh, and I need a shovel! Hopefully, one that was not used in the stables." Victoria warned much of the confusion of her parents.

Victoria had made sure not to give too much about the play away as she wanted them to go into the play knowing nothing.

Her brothers were spared from that fate. Edward was unwillingly forced into participating in the choir alongside children his age.

Hamilton, on the other hand, was more than willing to help with the production. He even volunteered to go over lines with her, giving his temporary parts a too-much high dose of dramatics.

"I already asked the stable-hand for a clean one. I placed it by the backdoor." Hamilton reassured as he leaned down to pet the dog. "What are you going to name him?" Hamilton asked Edward.

"Ludovicus." He said with a smug look on his face, clearly proud of the name.

The room fell silent as they all stared at the youngest Edwards.

"Ludovicus? For a dog?" His father asked.

Hamilton had a bright grin as he leaned his head against his hand and gave Edward an analytic look.

"Fascinating! It seems he inherited the inability to name from his parents." Victoria snorted at the statement while Caroline glared at Hamilton.

"Caroline, it's Christmas. I forbid you from murdering our son." Benedict said with his palms raised to show peace. "Besides, you did name him Edward Edwards."

Edward physically winced at his name and clutched on tightly to tiny Ludovicus.

"I named him after a king! Do not make me the villain. You agreed to the name. Let's not forget what you wanted his middle name to be." Caroline looked at her husband but to her surprise, he was already laughing.

"I wanted to name you Edward Edmund Edwards," Benedict confessed. The entire family burst into hysterics while Edward was slowly turning red.

"I'm changing my name once I am old enough," Edward muttered, burying his face in Ludovicus' brown fur.

"Truly, I think that is a splendid idea. Go by your middle name instead." Victoria suggested as Edward started pouting. "Ernest Edwards. Not too bad."