The Proposal

"What I'm trying to say is that we don't have other suspects!" Gallo said as he ran his hands over his face. "And I'm saying that I didn't kill her!" I shouted as I slapped my hand on the desk. "She's my mother, God damn it!" I collapsed on the chair, hiding my face in my hands. "That neighbor of yours didn't help you either. She said that it was only you in the room and also talked about seeing some kind of things. I don't know the story, either. The problem is that the boss doesn't want our image to get destroyed." he spoke calmly, looking at my figure. He felt bad for me. Not only was I losing my mother, but I wasn't sure of my job, either. "What's that supposed to mean?" I asked him as I allowed my eyes to escape from my hands and look at the man. His expression was piercing through my soul. Seeing him so sad didn't feel right. He wasn't supposed to care about my problems or anything, really. But he did. Because he was the father I never had.

He didn't stop looking at me as an unbearable silence fell in the room. The next few seconds felt like hours as I was waiting for my response, although I knew what was coming. "You're fired, (Y/N)." I closed my eyes at the statement, not wanting to make a scene. I knew that I wasn't guilty, but I also knew how much of a hot head was the boss, so saying the wrong things could cost me more than my career. "Could I talk to him?" I asked the old man, who seemed surprised by my request. "Absolutely."

I soon found myself in my boss' office, sitting in the opposite chair from him as he analyzed my features. It has been this silent ever since I entered the room. He did nothing but grin and look at me in a superior manner that easily disgusted me. "What did you want, (L/N)?" he finally asked. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "How can I get back into the police force?" I asked bluntly, knowing that sweet talking him would've been only a gross thing to do. "I don't think that once I fired you I can take you back, my dear. You've been fired with a reason." he said, his grin never leaving his face. "I understand that, but I was fired without being guilty. You don't have enough evidence." I insisted. I was getting annoyed. I knew exactly what I've done, and that wasn't killing my own mother. "Maybe we don't have enough, but from what we found, you are the reason for all this. You should be thankful I didn't put you in jail, (L/N), because I easily could have. But it's not like me to punish my own people." he said as he leaned back in his seat, clearly not wanting to give me a chance. "This will soon make it to the news and everyone will know about it. You'd have to do something so great, that people would forget about this whole thing." His words intrigued me. Maybe I could do it. Maybe I could get my job back and live my peaceful life, like I once used to. "Something like what?"

The man seemed surprised by my interest, probably knowing that doing anything like that would be impossible for only one person, but played along either way. He faked thinking about something, already having something in mind. "Okay, here's the deal. If you manage to stop the whole drug traffic in Italy, either by arresting or killing the one responsible for this, I'll get you back in here and give you even a higher rank. How does that sound, captain (L/N)?" I would've lied if I said that the way he said my name didn't make me uncomfortable, but the appellation did sound good. I knew I could do it. "Sounds good." I respond, earning a low chuckle from him. "But, unfortunately, you've already been fired, so you won't get payed anymore. Until you stop the drug traffic, that is." It wasn't like I wasn't expecting that. He was known for being a man that could only care about the appearance of his employees and money. "Very well. How much time do I have?" I asked him, knowing that this wasn't exactly a two-day mission. "Judging by how we are still far from catching him, you have as much time as you need. No rush, darling. This guy is very hard to find. No one knows his name nor his past. If you need years to finish your job, then I'll give you years."

*

Before I could do anything to get to that hell of a mobster, I had many other things to worry about, such as my mother's funeral. That was probably one of the saddest moments in my life. Memories of my childhood and her face filled my mind as I was walking down the street, hands deep in my pockets as my head was low. I never thought that I would get in this situation, so early in my life. Not only was I all alone, but I still had taxes to pay and needed to find a way to keep myself alive. I soon had to go find a job and probably sell the house, knowing that there was no way my future job was going to be one that could promise me a comfortable enough life.