Chapter 9

Hi everyone! Sorry it's taken so long to update, but I guess I should probably mention that there's going to be a lot of grammer and spelling mistakes. So if you see them, feel free to leave a comment and I'll get to it whenever I can.

Thanks guys <3

***************************************

Over the next month, I had been attacked three more times. All three of them were almost kidnappings, though my bodyguards were able to keep me safe each time. However, the toll taken on Marco, Toni, and Luke was unbelievable. Each day more and more bruises appeared on their bodies, while I remained basically unscathed. I had a few scratches and a bump on my head but other than that I was in mint condition.

I wasn't allowed to go anywhere by myself. Toni, much to Marco's disappointment, had made it her own personal responsibility to accompany me while I showered or bathed each night. Marco sat next to me in every class while Luke took the duty of night watch. Most nights I'd wake up and see Marco and Toni passed out cold on the ground around me, but Luke was sitting up in the chair next to my bed. He never dozed off, never let his guard down.

When I asked him why he volunteered to take the night watch every night he told me, "Because Marco and Toni deserve their peace in sleep if not while awake."

I didn't know what that meant but I felt guilty. For all three of them. Toni was plagued with nightmares, Luke had to sit up each night because he felt like he owed it to the team, and Marco...

As leader, Marco decided it was his duty to keep not only me safe but his team safe as well. He took the bulk of all attacks, he remained alert at all times, and while the rest of us would eat meals Marco would continue to check the perimeter as if he hadn't done it only minutes before. Then on top of all that, Arnold was pushing Marco to train harder each day. Luke and Toni were training as well, but not like Marco.

I had lost count of how many times I had seen Marco get knocked down by those giants, but every time Arnold would yell at him to get back up. And he would. Almost as if he physically couldn't disobey his commanding officer.

My father was still trying to mend our relationship. He'd pull me aside whenever he could to talk to me, ask me how I was doing. And while I appreciated the effort, I could always tell there were other things on his mind. But at least he was trying, and that's all that mattered to me. However, Arnold had brought up the note to my father so now the two of them were going back through everyone I had ever met to see who I might possibly 'belong to' as the note had said.

It seemed like everyone around me was suffering, except for me. I was still going to school, still in contact with my other friends who continuously asked why Toni was so distant lately. And I was lying to all of them, doing my best to explain the situation without actually giving away any information. But whether I wanted to or not, lying was the only way to keep my friends safe and it was all I could do.

"Wake up." I quietly mumbled, shaking Marco's shoulder lightly. He snapped awake, his eyes reddened by sleep deprivation. He sat upright, looking around, ready for a fight if one arose. But I placed a hand on his shoulder to comfort him, "Everything's okay. It's just time for school."

Marco remained tense for a while longer before he gently eased himself and nodded, "Alright. I'll get ready. Where's Luke?"

I gestured to the side where Luke was still sitting at the ready, his eyes locked on my doorway. Toni was sleeping right under him, her skin paler than usual. My bodyguards were degenerating and it was all my fault.

"Come on guys, let's get ready to face the day." Marco ordered, pushing himself up. I saw him wince as he stretched, his muscles rippling under his skin. How was it possible that this man before me was practically indestructible, yet he was the one getting hurt the most?