Meet You There - Chapter 8

Start from the beginning

   I nodded, already knowing I'd regret telling her that.

   Just when it seemed like Bennett - who I knew I could not be seen talking to now - had stopped trying to talk to me, he stopped me in the hall at the end of the week. I was late for 3rd period, so I barely slowed down. I hadn't seen him much at school, as he wasn't in any of my classes. But no one was around in the hall now, as we were seemingly both tardy.

   "Iris," he said, walking faster to catch up. "Hey."

   "Hi," I said back. "I'm late for Geography."

   "Yeah, I'm late for Bio," he told me, like this was not a big deal.

   I glanced over at him but kept walking.

   "I wanted to ask you if you want to get a coffee sometime. After school? Or this weekend?" he went on.

   I was caught off guard by this but tried not to show it. "I can't."

   "Uh, why?" he asked right away.

   "More than one reason," I told him.

   He smiled. "Can you tell me any?"

   I stopped walking at the doorway of my Geography classroom. "This is me."

   Bennett looked amused. Or maybe annoyed. "Of course it is."

   I forced a smile in his direction before I slipped into the classroom.

   I couldn't go for coffee with him because I was not doing the dating thing this year. I was not going to allow myself to be distracted by boys or parties. I also knew Josie and Polly would hate it if I hung out with Bennett, Kelly's brother. I needed them, now. Having them on my side was like a safety net, in high school.

   At the end of the day, I chatted with Carley for a few minutes by my locker and then left to walk home. The walk was quiet and I decided to stop in to the thrift store across the street from the cafe, Java Hut, where I had gotten coffee the week before.

   The same young girl was working at the desk. This time I wasn't looking for anything specific, but I felt like browsing. Or maybe I just didn't feel like going home right away.

  "Hey," the girl called out. I was the only shopper in the store. "Can I help you with anything?"

   I looked over and smiled at her. "Thanks. I'm just kind of browsing. And I didn't want to go straight home from school."

   "Oh, I know the feeling. That's why I work here," she laughed, then shook her head. "Well, actually, it's my cousin's store."

   "Oh, that's cool," I replied, while I looked through a rack of sweaters.

   "I guess. She works during the day and my sister and I work evenings... so... you know... it's fine." Her eyes were dark, very brown, and her hair was down today, thick and wavy.

   "Do you go to school around here?" I asked, pulling out a cardigan that I liked.

   "I go to CH, it's not far I guess. We get out at 2:30P.M. and I come right here. Wait, do you go to the fancy private school?" She stared at me, realizing I was in my uniform.

   I pulled at the bottom of my now un-tucked shirt. "I do."

   "Oh, how's that?"

   "It's... fine. I guess," I answered, walking towards the counter now.

   She nodded and I paid for grey cardigan, after trying it on.

   "This is so cute," she told me as she scanned it. "Oh, I'm Maribella."

   "I'm Iris," I said, then added, "see you again, I'm sure."

   "I'll be here," she finished.

   I crossed the street again and turned at the corner, back towards the condo. As I walked up to the building, there was Bennett, sitting on the steps. He stood up when he saw me nearing him.

   "What are you doing?" I asked him, shaking my head.

   "I have a spare for last period, so I -"

   "You were sitting here, waiting for me?" I interrupted, annoyed.

   "Well, yeah." He shrugged, this goofy smile on his face.

   "Can you just... not?" I asked, trying to step around him.

   "Please just give me one of those many reasons why I should stop trying to ask you out?"

   "Polly and Josie are my friends," I said stupidly.

   "Yeah, and?"

   "They hate your sister," I explained slowly.

   "I thought that was all water under the bridge?" Bennett was still smiling, as if he thought I'd change my mind just like that.

   "It's not. Polly is still messed up about it, what Alex did, and..." I bit my lip. Why was I even telling him this?

   "Okay, I get that. But why does that matter? You can't be friends with me because Alex is dating my twin sister?" he asked, still standing in front of me.

   "Twin?"

   "Yeah... you didn't know?" he grinned again, so I could see his teeth.

   I shook my head. "It matters because I need Josie and Polly, you know?"

   "They don't even know me. Like, I've gone to school with them for two years and we've never had a conversation," he went on.

  I walked past him and into the building, but of course he followed.

  "Kelly's your sister... sorry. Also, who says I want to be friends with you?" I asked, since he was still close behind me.

  "Ouch."

  "Sorry, but I have to do what's best for me right now."

  I walked towards the elevator.

  "Fine," he said, but smiled again. That damn smile.

  "I have to go," I told him.

  "Uh, I have to go up, too."

  "You're not using this situation to find out what floor I live on," I said, keeping a serious face.

  "Fine. I'll take the next one." He pushed the button for me, then stood back.

  "Okay," I nodded, then felt relief as the elevator doors opened.