Playing Innocent (chapter 3)

XAVIER'S POV 
I wipe the slight sweat from my brow, glancing down at my watch. An hour and a half has passed since I delivered Lucas his breakfast. Oops, I think. I hope my mother won't be too mad –but at least I gave him enough time to... finish.

Well, I hope at least.

I drop the various tools I had been using and start to make my way to the servant's entrance. I pocket the small flower I had found earlier in the garden, planning to place it into water as soon as I take Lucas's plate back to the kitchen.

As I get to the door, it swings open to reveal Mallory. Her dark brown hair hangs messily around her face, hiding parts of it. The only parts I can see well are her dark brown eyes shining from behind her hair, and her plump lips. She smiles. "I thought I would find you out here."

I nod slightly, stepping inside the doorway, beside her. "I was helping with the gardening. What is it you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Oh, yes, right." She blushes, looking down. "Your mother asked me to remind you that you are to help make Master Kaleb ready for the dinner tonight."

I sigh inwardly. I had forgotten about tonight's dinner-- it was even the reason my mother was kneading the dough in the kitchen. Master Stewart had invited a few of his friends and acquaintances, and their families. It is a really important dinner, because Master Stewart and Master Kaleb haven't really been socialising as much since Lucas came. I now know why that is.

"Thank you, Mallory; I had forgotten about that."

She smiles at me, slightly nodding her head in acknowledgment. "I must get back to the kitchen –your mother asked me to give her a hand for the preparation tonight. I agreed to help while the others make ready the dining room." She waves slightly, walking down the hall to the kitchen door.

I shake my head, thinking about the smile she gave me. It's so obvious that she's in love with me. Everyone knows that she is, and they teas me about it –even knowing I have no interest in her at all. I know that sounds mean, but I love someone else...

Again, I shake my head as I make my way down the hall. I really shouldn't be in love with –no! I stop myself. I try to deny it every day, but it doesn't seem to work. I can't tell anyone about whom it is that I love, because they would not look at me the same. Well, I don't feel the same as I did before.

I stop outside Lucas's door, taking out the key from my pocket. I slowly slide the door open, hesitantly glancing in. Lucas sits on the side of his bed, his head bowed and shoulders slightly slumped. I frown, taking a step inside. "Are you okay?" I ask, hesitating by the door.

He glances up, his forest green eyes meeting my gaze. He shakes his head then looks down again. I close the door and lock it, following protocol, then slip the key back into my pocket and slowly make my way over to him. I sit beside him on the bed, lightly touching his shoulder. He glances at me from the corner of his eye. "What are you doing," he asks.

"I'm wanting to comfort you," I say, but it comes out more of a question. I retract my hand, feeling the blood rush to your cheeks. "I want to help."

"You say you want to help me?" I give a small nod. "Then help me to get out of this blasted place. That is all I want –I don't want to be locked up here." He stares at me, almost challenging me. "If you want to help, help me escape."

After the words leave his mouth, a silence drapes itself over us. Neither of us says anything as I think quickly about his proposal. If I help him, there is a chance of getting what I want. But Kaleb won't be able to have someone he loves with him –I heard Master Stewart plain and clear: if Lucas doesn't become his before the month is up, he will have to marry a woman of his choice.

"How could I help?" I ask in a hush voice.

He leans back on the bed, frowning slightly. "First, to help think of a plan. Second, to help me when I get out of this room."

"I can help with the latter, but I'm not quite sure about how to help with your escape from this room. The only way out would be through the door, but you need a key for that. I can't give you that, because it would look suspicious."

He nods his agreement. "I know, but it would help." He pushes his finger through his dark brown hair, running his fingers through the short strands. "The only people who come in here with keys are: you, Kaleb, and Mallory, the one maid. Otherwise, no one else visits me. I could try to overpower Mallory, but I don't want to –she is a sweet girl."

"And you wouldn't be able to overpower Master Kaleb," I point out, leaning against one of the bedposts. "He--"

"I know I cannot overpower him," he interrupts, "But I have a way to distract him enough to reach for the key. I can use what I have not given him, dangle it in front of him, then when he is fully distracted, I can steal the key." He rubs a hand over his face. “I just have to make sure he doesn’t find out.”

I slowly nod, seeing how his plan could fit in tonight’s dinner plan. “It could work. There is a dinner being held here tonight. Master Kaleb will first have dinner with you, first, then make his way down to the dining room. If you can steal the key without him noticing, you can escape your room tonight. Everyone will be occupied to notice.”

He smiles, relief etched into his features. “Thank you.”

I smile back at him, slightly nodding my head. “If you can find your way to the kitchen, I will be there. I will create a package of food for you. Then I’ll help you to leave the property, undetected, after the dinner is over.”

“Really, thank you. But, may I ask, why are you helping me?”

“No reason, I just want to help. I know you do not want to be here, so I will try to rectify that,” I lie. I do want to help him, but I have other reasons too. Kaleb is one of them…

I smile at Lucas as I gather his breakfast trey and head back to the door. I take out the key and unlock it. I swing it open, the glance back at Lucas. “I will bring you lunch and more information at midday.” He nods, and I close the door. As I lock it again, I wonder if we can actually pull it off.

A/N this chapter is dedicated to UnidornsEatGrass 'cause she's my friend and she likes this story ^-^
I hope you liked this chapter! Thanks for reading, if you do :)
~Lauren xxx