Chapter 31

CATARINA

Ember looks like a fairy princess floating across the dance floor in Miles’s arms and I feel those tears building in my eyes again. These hormones are really a pain in the ass, but the two of them just look so damn happy and they are so beautiful together. In typical Ember fashion, she decided against the traditional white dress and picked a soft pink, almost dusky rose dress. It had layers and layers of chiffon which made it look like she was walking on a cloud.

Miles was in a gray suit, it matched the gray suit that Jace is wearing. By now, both of them have shed the jacket and they’re just wearing the crisp white shirts. Miles’s hair is pulled back into a man bun that only Miles could pull off without looking like a hipster.

Jace puts his arm around my shoulder and pulls me in for a kiss. I turn to look at him and his smile is a mile wide.

“What’s on your mind, handsome?”

“Just happy for my cousin and Ember, thinking about the two of us. I love you.”

“I love you too, Jace. Do you want to dance again?”

I smile, “I’d love to.”

Jace took my hand and we made our way to the dance floor, finding an open spot near Ember and Miles. Harlow and Lyle are dancing as well, but they’re not moving near as much as Ember and Miles are. Poor Harlow, she looks even bigger than she did yesterday. She’s got a smile on her face though. I think seeing Clemmy go into labor and celebrating that birth really put things into perspective.

Jace twirls me on the floor and I almost run into Ember. The two of us hold onto each other and start laughing. “Oops, sorry about that.”

“That was my fault, I wasn’t paying attention, just loving dancing in this thing, it just floats.”

“You look beautiful, Ember.”

“Thanks, Catarina. I’m so happy that you’re here and that you found love with Jace as I did with Miles. I can’t lie, having another girl around is great too.”

“I’m glad I could help even the odds out a bit. Speaking of, do you think those two will ever figure it out?” Ember follows my eyes across the dance floor to Deacon and Stef. They’re wrapped in each other’s arms and Stef just threw her head back, laughing about something. 

“I don’t know, Cat. There are moments when I think they are both just blind to the thing right in front of them. Stef is my best friend though and I know she’s been through some tough shit. She thinks she can hide the truth, even from herself.”

“Deacon swears they’re just friends, but that isn’t just friends.”

“No it isn’t, but I think he’s trying to protect himself too. I don’t know, I guess we just have to let them figure their own shit out.”

“Guess so.”

Harlow comes up from behind us and wraps her arms around our shoulders. “What are we doing over here, chicas?”

“Just trying to decode all of that,” I saw nodding towards Deacon and Stef once again.

“Those two….for real.”

“How are you feeling, Low?” Ember rubs Harlow’s stomach and smiles.

“I’m alright, getting tired, but that doesn’t mean much because I get tired just walking twenty feet so yeah.”

“What do you ladies think about busting this joint and going to visit the baby?”

“Um, you want to leave your wedding reception?”