CHAPTER 13: SANTA'S WORKSHOP

Start from the beginning

"I'm the pro at decoration, right? And you see that my lists are useful!" I grin proudly before throwing a glance around the room that I'm already picturing fully decorated for a Christmas around the world. "And I think they're having fun." I nod to the most important in all of this and the reason why we're doing this: the kids.

"I have to agree." Theone smiles as we hear giggles arise from a group of kids now covered with red and green dots, and I thank my mom for reminding me to cover up the floor. "But it lacks something..." he adds, his eyebrows slightly furrowing as his green gaze scans the surroundings.

I'm about to check my list when he exclaims, "I know!" And a few seconds later, cheerful notes echo around the room.

Luckily, the speakers are already integrated into the new walls, so it's one less thing to worry about for the organization. Though I forget all these logistics problems when I feel a tug on my hand, and my heart can't resist the pair of blue eyes inviting me to dance.

I grab Lilly's tiny hands, and I let the cheery tune that I know by heart leads my feet as we dance, or more exactly mess around with our arms and legs. Soon we're joined by almost everyone, well, actually, everyone because Theone makes sure to pull everyone to dance. 

Lilly and I go help him to finally drag her sister, Alexis, who tries to hide behind her black Christmas tree. When I look at the two sisters dancing together, their smiles filling my chest with a warm coziness that is the Christmas spirit, I know that Theone has been right: that's exactly what has been missing.

Decorating without Christmas songs isn't the same, and time passes even faster with music.

In a blink, which is in fact a few hours, we find ourselves, Theone and I, standing alone in the function room that now resembles Santa's workshop.

Our little helpers have left to get a well-deserved lunch, and I can hear my own stomach growling in protest, especially since I haven't been able to eat much this morning.

I shake the dreadful memories of this morning that come back with that thought, though my sore muscles are already starting to be a painful reminder with every move I make.

I have to keep the Christmas magic that all the little elves have brought me for the rest of the day because it's time for another list to check.

"Can you drop me at the Christmas market? I'm supposed to meet everyone there."

Theone and I have come here with his rented car because Bill hasn't been back from the repair shop yet, so now I kinda depend on Theone for my next step; that's why I add a nice 'please'.

"Yeah, sure," he replies, closing the last can of paint, and I have to do a double-take because it almost sounds too easy.

"But can I come with you?"

That's what I've been saying! It's never as easy. Though right now, he doesn't seem evil; his left dimple isn't popping, and he's actually giving me the hint of a real smile. "It's been so long since I haven't been there..."

"Um..." I take my time to think it through and be sure this won't lead me to my doom again. "Okay, you've been nice, and I don't want to leave you alone here to ruin everything we've done."

"Thanks for the trust!" He rolls his eyes, putting his beanie on and letting a few curls poke out perfectly, and it's almost unfair how it fits him perfectly without even trying, while my hair always ends up flying around everywhere with electricity.

"I speak from experience." I lift an eyebrow, although he doesn't see me as he's already heading out of the room.

Surprisingly, he doesn't raise, surely because he knows it's true.