Four

I could swear I witnessed the rain part like the red sea the next time I saw her. 

After our encounter behind the security of the lunch tables, I awaited her return into my life for a meaningless day. She took all of my thoughts away with her and I knew only she could bring them back. Now she dances in circles around my mind.

The rain preserves her beauty queen hairdo as she hangs to her black dress for dear life, in fear the wind will raise the hem above her grazed knees. Dresses suit her tremendously. They accentuate her petite figure like a doll I could just place on a shelf. 

Exuberantly she runs to me; the wind is no match for her. I shift to the side of the bench I'm sitting on to make room for Jodie. Under the outdoor roof,  we're still cold but I can feel myself slowly defrosting as she places herself cross-legged next to me.

"Hello, Tate. I overheard somebody in my English talking about your little fight with Kyle. Did you punch him?" she says interestedly, a grin forming on her mouth.

"No. But now I wish I did. I wasn't even looking for trouble. He just got mad and the asshole decided to punch me." I respond humorously, not including the whole truth. Like the real reason for our feud.

"You shouldn't let Jocks like Kyle" she spits his name out like it has a bad aftertaste. "Push you around like you don't mean shit, you know." 

Her words are spoken in whispers however those whispers flood my ears. 

Like you don't mean shit. 

Implying that I do mean shit. 

Kissing her right now would just be wrong. A violation. But respectively all I want to do is violate her. Completely.

Suddenly students begin to chase after their next lessons with books clasped against their chests. They are a great example of survival of the fittest when they reach the halls. I realise I didn't even hear the bell ring. Jodie tends to have that effect on me.

Like I expect she picks up her black schoolbag but instead of leaving for class she places it on her lap. She's not done talking to me. 

"Hey. Would you want to perhaps meet up after school?"

"Yeah. Okay! Where would you want to meet?" 

She picks her black nail polish in deep thought.

"I have a slot in one of the darkrooms after school to process some of my photographs. Would that be okay?"

"Sure. See you after school then." I say with a pathetic attempt at a smile.

She returns the awkward smile. Then with grace, she walks away but she resists herself from hurrying like all the others and simply basks in the falling water bouncing all around her. I fear the wind will blow her into another state however she stands tall and sways like a palm tree in the breeze.

We both love the rain and I love that we have something in common. 

During the day I have a head full of Jodie and our conversation still lingers on the tip of my tongue. It's no lie that meeting her is one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

When the end of the school day comes I wait at the darkrooms to greet her. I appreciate her promptness because only 30 seconds after my arrival I hear her boots squeaking against the hardwood floors and her lace dress comes trailing after. 

"Hello, Tate," she says while scrambling for the key. 

"Hey, Jodie. Have you got your photos?" I say confidently as possible.