Chapter 12

Despite his best efforts, Izuku ended up going to the hero museum alone. Everyone he asked seemed to be preoccupied with work or plans made prior to him asking, or simply had no interest in going. Even Ochako, who normally was available for outings with friends, had replied back that she was busy this weekend. It made him wonder if he should have been working like the others, instead of goofing off to attend another All Might inspired venture. Sundays were usually the least crowded day, so he was pleased that he didn't have to deal with too many prying eyes on the train. However, it was still packed at the museum. He couldn't sit outside and wait for it to open, like he would have ages ago, since his job and training took priority over his hobbies- though in a way, his work was a hobby.

Standing above all of them was a tall figure leaning against the stone effigy of All Might, standing roughly at a daunting a four point five meters tall, quite a bit bigger than the actual Symbol of Peace himself. Even it was a statue, it fully captured the idea of how easily he dwarfed other people, both in his personality and physical mountainous physique. Of course, Izuku learned early on that the man behind the mask cast quite a few shadows of his own, some that were bigger than expected. Even after nearly a decade, he still felt like he was barely on par with the former number one hero, the shadow of the statue covering the toe of his favorite pair of red high tops. It stood out in an open courtyard in front of the museum entrance, standing in the middle of the two lane sidewalks that curved around it. It was a sitting area of sorts, a pop up garden for the general public to enjoy. Some were sitting out on it, waiting for their turn in line while others were casually resting their legs.

Since Izuku was a membership pass holder, he didn't have to wait in line with ninety percent of the museum goers who were only in it for the special event and one-day passes. He was moving past the crowd sitting underneath Stone Might when he noticed something out of the corner of his eye, or rather someone. The only reason he noticed them was that the height difference was a huge contrast to almost everyone around them, save for a few mutant Quirk users that stood in-line. Was that... Alyssa?! He stared at the girl for a few seconds, as if to gauge whether or not he was imagining things. Her hair was thrown into a tight messy bun, dark eyes focused down at the pamphlet in her hand, but there was no mistaking it: it was her.

What was she doing here? She had said wanted to come but said she couldn't due to having plans. She would have texted him if she had changed her mind, right? Was that a lie? Had she maybe wanted to come but just didn't want to come with him? He should go over there and say something to her. But what if she didn't want to talk to him? Was she avoiding him? She seemed to be really busy too. He would just be a bother if he tried to talk to her. Oh, she was getting up and... coming straight towards him! Oh god, what was he supposed to do? Should he say hi or make a break for it? His head kept switching between these two options, unable to choose between them. He could make split second decisions in battle. Why was he hesitating now of all times?

"Izuku?" Realizing he had missed his opportunity for escape, Izuku froze and turned back to face her.

"H-Hey Alyssa."

"I thought I recognized that curly green hair. How're you doing, Freckles?"

"Umm... fine." He flushed, thrown more off balance by the nickname and the warm smile that had said it. "How are you today?"

"I'm good. Actually, I was hoping I'd run into you." His thoughts stalled. She was hoping to run into him? Why? Hadn't she been trying to avoid him? No, he had been trying to do that to her. Just now.

"You were?"

"Yeah. I've been sitting out here for like forty minutes trying to get in." She bit her lip, looking down towards her feet, looking like she was hesitating to say something. "You uh... wouldn't happen to still have any open spots left on your membership pass, would you? 'Cause I kept hoping someone had cancelled and that I could go in for some sort of wait-list if I stood outside here long enough, but they are iron-clad tight today-"