Get you a man who can do both: scare the shit out of you AND drive you home (11)

"Would you like to pay by cash or card?"

"Cash" Keiji told the cashier as he retrieved his wallet from his pocket.

Keiji... wasn't the most passionate cook ever. Actually, it had been a while since he'd made some food by himself, he usually just relied on fast food or packaged goods for his meals. So he thought he'd give it a try today, hence why he was buying ingredients for dinner.

"Okay, that'll be $33.60"

The blonde detective nodded, searching for a 50 in the wallet until he finally found one. He grabbed his bag of groceries with his left hand and took the change in his right.

"Here's your receipt. Thank you"

"No problem" He nodded as he began heading towards the exit of the store. Keiji crammed his jacket pocket with the crunched up receipt and change like an 'organised' adult, listening to the ringing of the door as it went behind him.

The wind pulled at his hair when he reached the outdoors, and Keiji realised he was right for wearing his jacket today. In addition, he brought his car here, so at least the way home would be nice and warm.

Keiji was about to step into his car before he saw a familar figure waiting at the bus stop in front. Curious, Keiji placed his groceries in his car and went towards the person.

The figure, it turns out, was none other than Shin Tsukimi, lying casually on the bus stop bench with his phone above his face. He wore his infamous beanie and scarf combination, but he seemed to be missing his usual jacket.

Was he waiting for the bus? Only one way to find out.

Trying not to be heard, Keiji tip toed towards Shin's direction, holding his breath as he did so. It probably wasn't necessary, the wind was so loud that he probably wouldn't be heard regardless, but Keiji didn't care.

He walked until he was just behind where Shin's head was, and counted to three before

"Boo" He said as loud as he could. Keiji worried that Shin might not hear him if he wasn't loud enough

Despite the worrying, Shin clearly heard him. 

Shin fucking jumped, like a cat getting startled. He fell on the concrete ground, his phone hitting the bench. He rubbed his head.

"Whahahahaha" Keiji laughed. It's been a while since he'd laughed like this.

Shin, clearly embarrassed, pulled his beanie over his eyes so Keiji could no longer see his face. The beanie man pushed himself up to a sitting position, now sitting on the uncomfortable concrete. Looking cross as ever.

Keiji sat down too, sighing as a bus went by.

"...what are you doing here?" Shin asked, attempting to sound agitated but failing miserably.

"Oh nothing" He smiled. "I just went grocery shopping. Are you waiting for a bus?"

Shin pulled the beanie off his eyes in a huff. He nodded.

"Well, I think it just went by" The blonde detective whistled. "It missed us. Oh well."

"Shit" Shin said suddenly, getting up on his feet. "Shit I had to take that bus. I'm gonna be late... fuck"

"Hehe" Keiji grinned, getting up as well. "Someone as pretty like you shouldn't be swearing like that. It's okay"

Shin glared at Keiji in the eyes, clearly still upset about missing his ride. "I would've caught that if it wasn't for you... this is your fault" He looked so angry Keiji kind of felt sorry.

"Tell you what Shin" Keiji sighed, rubbing his neck. "I brought my car. I'm happy to give you a lift"

____________________________________________________________

"Buckle up" Keiji winked at Shin in the seat next to him as he pulled the car into reverse. He could just hear Shin's muttering, something about overconfident jackasses, but Keiji just took it as a compliment, that his flirting was working.

Keiji pulled out of the car park and back on to the main street. It was busy at this time of day, but that was fine. Shin didn't look too nervous about being late anymore, that was the important thing.

"So, what's the rush for?" He was curious at what Shin was going to. It was late afternoon on a Friday, and Keiji never really took Shin as the partying type. So where was he going? Surely he didn't have another shift at this time.

"I have to look after some kids" Shin admitted, shivering a little when he touched the cold metal clip of the seatbelt. "I work as a babysitter"

"Really?" Keiji giggled. "You? A babysitter?"

"What's surprising about that? I'm such a fun and bubbly guy, no idea why you'd be surprised"

Shin tried his best to fake an overconfident smile for the joke, but all that came out was a tired and overwhelmed sort of grin.

"Hehe" Keiji smiled back. "No surprise there. Who are the lucky kiddos?"

"Ahem" Shin coughed into his hand all dramatic, like he'd prepared a speech for the kids. "I babysit 2 of them, a girl named Kanna and her younger brother Gin. Both lively as shit, but they make good company"

"Mhm" Keiji suddenly remembered that he should pay attention to the road moreso than the person next to him in the passenger seat. But his friend kept talking nonethewiser.

The rest of the car ride was populated by Shin ranting about the children he was babysitting, a passionate and fun sort of rant. Keiji had never heard Shin talk like that before, relieved of stress and anxiety. It was entertaining watching him like that.

"Wait, do I turn down this street, or the next?"

"Next one" Shin confirmed, grinning like a little shit. "Thanks so much for the lift Keiji"

"No problem" He whistled. "I mean I was the reason you missed the bus in the first place"

Shin sighed. "Yeah... true. But this was fun, you know"

"I'm pretty sure that was the exact opposite of what you said when I jumpscared you earlier." The undercover cop commented smugly.

"Just take the compliment you dumb cocky bastard..."

Keiji parked the car then, unbuckling his seatbelt and opening the side door. Shin stepped out as well, gripping his scarf tightly now that some wind threatened to blow it away. It was getting late.

"Hey Shin, before you go do you want my number?" Keiji said as smoothly as he could. "I'd imagine you'd want better company than whatever Midori's offering"

"Pffffffffffffffff, true" Shin laughed. "Sure. I'll write it down for you"