Midori's reign of terror (6)

Midori couldn't care less about that boring college class.

Sure, Shin was fun to scare and all and Keiji made decent company, but there was nothing exciting. No real spark or spunk in their personality, it kind of bored Midori in a weird way. But he knew one person that'll bring him fun no matter what!

Good thing he placed a tracker in her bag, so he knows where she is at all times! 

Sometimes his genius even scared him a little.

He followed his phone's instructions to locate the tracker. He was skipping class to give Miss Reko a visit, and he knew Keiji had the situation under control back at the college. Good ol' Miley isn't that scary anyway.

His tracker directed him towards an art studio in the middle of the city. Normally Midori would drive there, but it was such a nice day he decided to walk instead. Humming an old melody, Midori let himself in to the nice cosy studio in a dull grey city.

The bell chimed above his head, and it didn't take Midori very long to locate Reko (even without the tracker). There she stood, yelling at some poor old professor, and Midori was instantly intrigued. He decided to stay silent and listen.

"Dammit! Why didn't you see her out??" She yelled, throwing her hands in the air like a mad woman. The white haired man took a step back.

"I'm very sorry Ms Reko. It's a very hard time for us as well" The man remained calm and composed, even while talking to her. "I can tell you all I know about that night if you'd prefer. Would you like some tea?"

"Can it, you nutty professor" Reko sighed, disappointed.

Reko turned around, probably to leave the studio in a huff until she spotted Midori in the corner of her eye.

Midori mustered the creepiest expression he could.

"Ahhh! Shit!!" She panicked, putting her even more on edge. Midori giggled.

"Hi Miss Yabusame!" He waved and smiled. "What are you doing?"

"None of your business..." She growled, clearly off put by Midori's presence. Midori could tell she was about to leave, and didn't really want that happening.

Midori had been to this place before. Now that he remembered it, he remembered tagging along with Reko and her girlfriend to this very studio. Midori could put the pieces together, he knew why Reko was here. Now his only job was to keep her here.

"I'm assuming you've heard the news..." Midori knew it was really insensitive to pull this card, but it was the only way he could think of to keep Reko here. "It's such a shame really. And to think Nao might've been here only a few days ago! Very tragic..."

"Fuck. Off. Sou I really don't need this--"

"Oh! I know why you're here now!" Midori tried to sound innocent. "You're investigating where she was last seen. Are you in charge of the missing cases, Miss Yabusame?"

Reko also worked as a cop with Midori, but he knew for certain she wasn't put on the missing cases. Megumi would never do something that insensitive.

"Well no but--"

"Then I see no reason for you to be investigating!" He proclaimed too loudly. "It's simply irresponsible!"

"Irresponsible my ass" Reko muttered. "What are you trying to prove?"

"I'm just saying maybe we should sit down with this nice professor here, learn more about the situation, Miss Yabusame" Sounding genuine was hard for Midori, but he was really trying here. "Plus! It's been oh so long since I've seen you last! It'll be fun!"

Midori knew he had won. Reko gave a long defeated sigh.

"We're not staying for long" She relented finally. "But yea, if you can tell me about... about what happened to Nao... I'd really appreciate it professor"

The man smiled gently. "I'll get some tea...mwahahaha"

____________________________________________________________

Mishima (the man had introduced himself by now) had told Reko and Midori to sit in a little waiting room of sorts while he boils some tea for them. Reko clearly looked uncomfortable.

Fun.

"So Reko!" Midori began. "How have things been, done anything recently?"

"Why are you like that?" She said impatiently. "I haven't sleep in what, like 3 days cause of this. So NATURALLY Sou, I'm feeling just great..."

Midori gasped.

"3 days and no sleep?" Reko was about to roll her eyes until Midori kept talking. "That's pathetic. Do 5 pussy"

"Heh" That earnt a laugh from her, no matter how brief.

The studio door opened, and low and behold the art professor Mishima walked through, with a messy canvas in hand as a tray and three teacups placed delicately on the holds. The tea was steaming, making pretty little patterns in the stuffy air around them. Mishima placed it down on the table with care.

"I hope black tea is ok, we ran out of the fruity flavours a while back" Mishima apologised. "Would either of you like milk or sugar?"

Reko shook her head.

Midori nodded profusely.

"Well then" Mishima politely laughed, handing the sugar and milk over to Midori's irresponsible hands. Midori began scooping sugar into his cup as Mishima began to talk.

"As you're probably aware, Nao Egokoro went missing 6 days ago" Mishima smiled sadly. "She left all her art materials here, as it was late at night and she lost time of how long she'd been painting"

Reko nodded, eyes fixated on the rim of her teacup. Midori nodded out of curtesy.

"I was working late as well, so I think I was the last one to see Nao" Mishima admitted. "I offered to drive her home, but she said her apartment was close by and that it'd be okay"

"...dammit..." Reko muttered under her breath, only loud enough for Midori to hear. This news probably wasn't going to do wonders for her mental health.

"Any good news? Any leads?" Midori suggested, trying his best to sound hopeful to make Reko not lose complete hope.

"We have security footage for the front of the store, you're welcome to check that out" Mishima attempted to give Reko a reassuring smile, a useless gesture since Reko wasn't looking at him anymore. "I am very sorry. If you'd like I still have the painting Nao was working on. It's not complete, but if that'll give you some hope I'm happy to let it go"

Reko didn't move for a while, but finally she nodded at the request. Mishima pardoned himself to go fetch the painting.

Midori really didn't know what to say to help Reko. Midori wasn't really used to reassuring others, usually it was the other way around, so to say he was helpless in this situation was an understatement. So he just let silence pass between the two of them and hoped that would be enough.

Soon enough, Mishima re entered the small room, carrying a large canvas under his arm. He tried his best for a grin as he handed the painting over to Reko.

Midori glanced over at the painting, curious. It was actually a painting of Reko, and although it wasn't completely finished it looked really detailed and delicate. He wished Reko wouldn't cry on the canvas and ruin the paint.

She glanced down at it too and smiled sadly. "Thank you so much... sorry for earlier"

"It's fine Ms Reko" Mishima assured the girl.

Midori studied Mishima's face for a second. He seemed to have composed himself better than whatever Reko was doing, but he could tell Mishima was still mourning too. Almost like he wanted to keep the last painting of his student, almost like he'd wish for anything in the world that he drove her home.

But it was too late now.

Midori knew that better than anyone.