The Show Must Go On {16}

Start from the beginning

                “You didn’t call Neo,” Scott said, shutting the door.

                “I didn’t want to wake him up,” I said, backing out of the driveway.

                “Lucky me.” He squinted at my face. “Vesper was pissed. Your pets are dangerous, you better give them to me.”

                “You’re not getting my dog. Or my cat,” I said sternly.

                Scott shrugged and turned the music up. We drove in comfortable silence to the high school. I parked and we got out, climbing the hill that led to the school. We sat down at the top of it, the grass still wet.

                “It’s almost over,” Scott said, leaning back on his elbows and staring at the sky as it grew even lighter. The sun was starting to rise.

                “The night?” I asked.

                He shook his head. “High school. What do you want after school?”

                “College,” I said. “You know I got accepted to my top choice.”

                “No. Not where do you want to go. What do you want,” he said.

                I fell silent for a few minutes. “I don’t know,” I said at last.

                “You go to college, you whore around some more?” he said.

                “It’s not that. I…I want to stay in a relationship with Neo. I really want to,” I said honestly.

                “Donnie? Clifton?” he said.

                “I’m going to be the spoiled bastard everyone thinks I am and hope that Neo chooses me over them,” I said. The sun was starting to peek through the trees.

                “And Bennett?” he said.

                “He’ll drop it once the Donnie and Clifton issue is resolved,” I said. I hugged my knees to my chest, watching the sun as it started to slowly climb over the tops of the trees.

                “So, you’re in love with Neo,” Scott said.

                “I think so,” I said, running a hand through my hair, pushing the blond curls out of my face.

                He lifted one of his elbows and lazily bumped it against my arm, getting a few blades of grass on my arm. “Good luck with that.”

                We fell back into comfortable silence, just watching the sun as it rose higher and higher in the sky. After a while, cars began to pull into the parking lot, and we stood up wordlessly, heading in through the back door of the school.

                Before I started taking sleeping pills, I would call Scott when I couldn’t sleep, and the two of us would sit at the high school, watching as the sun rose, talking or sitting quietly. Once the sun was up and it was time to go, we pretended like it had never happened.

                My eyes landed on Neo as he entered the hallway a few minutes later. He looked sleepy and miserable as he put in his combination and pulled his locker open.

                I made my way over to him. “Neo,” I said, and he jumped.

                “Well, nothing wakes a guy up quite like a heart attack,” he said, tossing a notebook into his locker and digging around for something.