07

Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

STARING at the rectangular piece of digitalization, I mulled over my next move. It kept haunting me, with its blank, black surface that would light up with a notification - usually one about some sale on a clothing line on an online platform.

An entire day had passed since my prey had given me his number. It had also been twelve hours since I almost lost it in the bar, after Chaeri treated me to a round of "congratulations-your-sorry-butt-finally-tracked-your-meal" drinks in Pied Piper. Six hours ago, Soojin had called, asking about the status of the hunt and berated me after learning that I hadn't made a single move. Roughly an hour ago, the accursed device had, at last, revived the energy to make calls; apparently "butt-dialling" my brother several times had caused its weak self to lose all its power.

Half an hour had passed since I had painstakingly entered his name in my contacts. And after all this time, I still had no idea about my next plan of action.

Never before had I drawn a full blank while hunting. It was most unlike me. And that irked the very life out of me.

Snap went something inside me and in an instant, the wise-phone was in my hand and the drone of the ringing outgoing call filled my ears. Unconsciously, my fingers raised themselves towards my mouth and before I knew it, I was munching on my nails like they were peanuts. Then, the horrific realization that I had no concrete reason to give him a ring, sinked in.

Think, Jiya, think. Think of suitable conversation-openers.

Yes, that was it. A variety of ideas popped up before me and I sifted through them eagerly.

Ask him about his work! Yes, perfect. That would set the mood for a romantic first conversation.

Discuss the latest news! How about the murder that took place in one of the SBS networks? What brilliance! In fact, he would have proposed to me had I started with that.

I blamed my hunger on this. For once, I wished to be a simpler creature - like a bear. Doze half the year, gorge on fresh fish-

"Hello, who is this?"

Hadn't my admirable composure saved my ass in the nick of time, I would have screamed like a common rat and ended up shattering my phone. I covered the receiver end of the phone (or the end I assumed was the receiver) and cleared my throat.

"Hello, this is Moon Jiya, from the photoshoot. You gave me your number?"

"Ah, yes. I wondered why you hadn't immediately risen to the occasion and given me a call, judging from how enamoured you were."

I had to take a moment to control my mirth; the sheer gall of this man!

"You are very funny, Mr. ...?"