Ch. 1 Hanahaki Disease

■3rd Person POV■

Tokyo

~Ten years ago

6 y.o L/N Y/N was hiding behind her parents' legs when they're at the local park. She's quite the shy one around new people.

D/N : come on Y/N, greet our new friend

Her dad encourages his daughter to greet a little boy who's also visiting the park with his parents. The L/N family just moved her to Tokyo from Miyagi, young Y/N is actually quite the humble and kind girl, but she's really shy around new people. Just then the little boy in front of them step forward and offer his hand to her.

Akaashi : Hi, I'm Akaashi Keiji, I'm 6 years old. Wanna be friends? What's your name?

Y/N slowly walk from behind her father's leg, and shyly took Akaashi's hand in hers.

Y/N : I'm L/N Y/N, please be my friend.

Akaashi : okay, I like volleyball what about you?

Y/N : I like strawberry flavored food and drinks.

That is the start of Y/N and Akaashi's friendship.

~ Present Time

The bell of Fukurodani highschool finally rings, all of the students walk out of their classes to go home or going for their club activities. 2nd-year Y/N and Akaashi are walking to volleyball practice together.

Akaashi is a regular member and the vice-captain of Fukurodani volleyball team, Y/N is one of their managers. Y/N has been coughing a lot lately, sometimes when it's not stopping she would excuse herself to the bathroom.

Akaashi: have you visit the hospital? It's been three months and isn't your coughing getting worse lately?

Y/N : ah yes I've already gone there, it seems like I'm having a slight throat problem but nothing's bad Keiji

Lies

Akaashi just stares at his childhood friend before finally nodding. They finally arrived at the gym, and Y/N head to Yukie and Kaori the 3rd year's managers while Akaashi does some warm-up with Bokuto and the other. Just then a girl came from the gym entrance, she waves her hand at Akaashi and calling him. Akaashi approaches his girlfriend of three months. They talk near the gym door, unaware of a certain (e/c) eyes watching with a pained expression.

Y/N start coughing badly and put her hand on her mouth, then excuse herself and running to the bathroom. Yukie and Kaori run after her while the rest of the Volleyball members looking at their backs with worried. Akaashi was about to follow them when the coach tells them to practice and leave Y/N with the other managers.

In one of the cubicles of the girl's bathroom, throwing up flowers and blood. Black petals were laying on the bathroom floor with a drop of blood. When Y/N open the cubicle door, what she sees was a worried looking Kaori and Yukie. Y/N has Hanahaki disease, a disease caused by one-sided love where the patient coughing flowers. it's been three months already since Y/N has it.

When Akaashi told her that he got himself a girlfriend, Y/N started to coughing black petals. She has a crush on Akashii since 6 grade. Y/N keeps this a secret from all of her friends and family, but Yukie and Kaori found out when they witness her coughing flower when they're filling the water bottles for the team. Y/N asked them to keep it a secret and they agreed to it. They're trying to convince her to take the surgery but Y/N refuses to take it.

Hanahaki disease is a disease that happens to someone with unrequited love. It can be cured in 2 ways. The person they loved to return their feelings or by taking the surgery. The surgery was done by taking out the root of the flower inside the patient's lungs, but the effect of the surgery is the patient will lose her feelings for their crush, along with the memories about them. If their feelings weren't returned and they didn't take the surgery, in three months the patient will die.

Y/N doesn't want to forget her memories with Akaashi, her first friend and her first love. That's why she chose not to take the surgery. Yukie and Kaori took her back to the gym after she cleaned herself, the three of them sitting on the bench watching the boys practice. When Akaashi saw Y/N back, he went out for a bit and returned with strawberry milk.

Akaashi : you sure you're okay? (He gave her the milk) that coughing doesn't sounds like nothing to me ( he look worried)

Y/N took the milk and smiled at Akaashi, telling him that everything is fine. Akaashi wasn't convinced but Y/N keep on telling him to go back to practice making him gave in. Kaori and Yukie look at each other than at Y/N, they're the only one who knows about Y/N having hanahaki disease.

The practice was finally ended, everyone is cleaning up the gym. Y/N picking up the ball when Akaashii told her to rest.

Akaashi : Y/N, you don't need to help with the cleaning. You should rest, I could tell GF/N that I can't walk with her. Let's walk back together

Y/N : It's alright Keiji, I mean your Girlfriend is already waiting for you, you can't just bail her in the last minutes.

Akaashi : she will understand, I've been walking home with her every day since we're together, she wouldn't mind if I-

Just then a girl's voice was heard, Akaashi's girlfriend is looking for him.

Y/N : Keiji I'm fine, you should hurry up and go to her. (Y/N is smiling trying to convince Akaashi to let her be)

Akaashi sigh then pats Y/N's head, before turning to his girlfriend. Y/N watch as Akaashi telling his girlfriend to wait for him to get changed, it feels like something is piercing through her lungs. Y/N clenching on her chest, trying to calm herself down, and then continued picking the ball.

Akaashi just returned from changing with Bokuto and the other. Y/N just came out from the storeroom with the other managers when she saw Akaashi and his girlfriend holds hands. The tugging feelings on her chest grew, it became painfully hard to breathe and Y/N started coughing badly until she finally collapsed. Kaori and Yukie's scream attracted everyone in the gym's attention. They'll start running towards the now laying on the floor Y/N. Akaashi also marched towards her and cradles her in his arms.

Akaashi : oi Y/N, wake up! ( Akaashi shook her body lightly) can you hear me!? Y/N!

Yukie and Kaori also trying to wake Y/N up on her side. Washio is calling for an ambulance while Bokuto was trying to call Y/N's parents with Akaashi's phone. When the Ambulance came the medic took Y/N to the hospital. Akaashi, Bokuto, Yukie, Kaori, and coach Yamiji also go to the hospital while the rest of the team went home along with Akaashi's girlfriend.