December 14th

Today is my first day of school. Mom explained to me that all children here go to school and that homeschooling is actually quite uncommon. Back home, some kids went to school, and those who could afford it went to a boarding school or finishing school. Some people hired private tutors if they wished to stay home. Many people did not go to school at all. I knew many kids when I was younger who were illiterate. I have memories of a shabby school when I was younger before Papa became successful. I miss Papa and Grandpa. I even miss Martha and Christabel. We were supposed to go to Grandpa's this year. I love his house. It's an old castle which has been in the family for centuries. Papa was quite the rebel when he was younger, running away to be a painter. Grandpa forgave him though, especially once Grandma got irritated at him. I never met Grandma, she died before I was born. She sounds like a good person, unyielding and deliberate and smart. I love this place, whatever it is, and am starting to get friends here. But I miss home terribly. I am starting to wonder if I have slept for 100 years like Rip Van Winkle. That is the only explanation for the marvelous machines and clothes here, and the year being 2020. Such as the car I am in now. It's a marvel. It moves so fast and quiet.
We pull up at my new school. There are crowds of students in front, with crazy clothes. Shirts that show far too much skin. Baggy clothing that looks like sacks. Hair dyed unnatural colors and piercing on people's faces. The students are laughing and screaming and talking loudly. I can hardly hear myself think. It's perfect. It looks so fun and vibrant. I can't wait. There is nowhere like this back home. I get out of the car and Mom follows. Apparently, there is more to explain. She already lectured me about all sorts of stuff with teachers and classes and not worrying.
"I explained your situation to the teachers, so you don't have to worry about grades this semester. Just do your best. Laleh will guide you to all your classes." Mom explains.
I am about to inquire who Laleh is when I hear an ear-piercing shriek.
"NOELLE!" someone screams, running toward the car. It's a girl with jeans (a new type of clothing), a sweater, and a high ponytail. She has dark brown hair with highlights and makeup.
"I CAN"T BELIEVE ITS YOU!" she screams and hugs me. I freeze.
"Who is this?" I ask Mom.
"It's me, Laleh. Come on, let's go to class. I have so much to ask you. And I need to tell you all the latest gossip." I glance helplessly back at Mom as Laleh drags me away. She smiles and waves goodbye, looking worried. I wonder why? This seems like a wonderful place.
I was wrong. The classes and people are interesting, but there is so much noise. Too much. And it smells of sweat, disinfectant, and tears. At least, that's what Laleh said the smell was when I asked her. Laleh has been very useful. She tells me a bit about each class before we go in, and taught me shortcuts to each one. She ends up late to her own, having some different classes. I hope we can be friends. I haven't had a friend in ages because the noble and rich kids are too different from me. Entitled and shallow. Christie is nice, but so always as her head in the clouds and gets worried. Laleh is very realistic and funny. Emilio is in some of my classes too, and I shyly smile when I see him. I've seen that it's appropriate here for us to interact but it still feels strange. Plus, I am so tired I can barely stay awake. I almost regret staying up so late. Almost. At lunch, the noise is even worse. I have to really focus to make out what Laleh is saying. The smell is nice though. Today they are serving something called nachos. Its cheese and meat with very thin and hard bread called tortilla chips. My eyes widen in surprise as I bite into it. The cheese tastes very...interesting, but the meat has loads of flavor. Not nearly as good as Mom's cooking, but delicousIt'snetheless. Laleh wrinkles her nose.
"You like that stuff?"
"Its delicious! So much flavor. I mean, my Mom's cooking is far better but it is far better than I expected,"
"Ooookay," she says, taking a bite of her sandwich. "You do you," We talk about classes for a little, and she is telling me about some "extremely important" gossip when someone taps my shoulder. I spin around and find Emilio with a lunch tray.
"Hey! I thought maybe I should sit with you since it's your first day. Kinda first day. I mean you've been here before but..." he trails off.
"Um, okay?" I say, unsure. He smiles warmly and sits down next to me. Right next to me. Laleh smiles and elbows me.
"Ouch!" I say. "Why did you elbow me?" She slaps her forehead. Emilio blushes. I am utterly confused. What is it?
"So," Laleh says. "The school is hosting a Christmas dance this year. Who are you going to ask, Emilio?" She stares at him. I am very confused.
"Um..." Emilio stutters. "I- I- I don't have anyone to go with yet."
"Is there someone you'd like to go with?" she asks, smirking.
"Um...I- maybe- uh-Noelle- do you wanna- um go to the Christmas dance with me?"
Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh. That's what the smirks and stares were about. I look down at my plate, my face red.
"I- I- suppose. If you don't have anyone else?" I stammer. Emilio breaks into a smile.
"Great!" Laleh smirks in a very suspicious way, looking extremely satisfied. Uh oh. What have I gotten myself into?