Chapter 9: Kiwi

"The FBI wants to do a full investigation into Frost and Felix." Hotch told me as we walked to my lecture hall. "They're not suspending anyone, but it's going to be a long process."

I sighed and nodded. "What do I need to do after class?"

"They're requesting that an agent not associated with the BAU interview the entire team and both unsubs." He shrugged, "They want someone who can profile that's not associated with us, I guess."

"I guess that makes sense. Where are we being interviewed?"

"They want to do it in the interrogation rooms. I couldn't tell you why." He was clearly stressed about the entire deal. "Just meet the team there, and make sure you just go over the facts of the case."

"As always." I confirmed. "Are you staying for class?"

"Why not?" He shrugged. "They want us to pause all work until this is over. As annoying as it is, I guess I get some free time for once."

I looked down as my lesson plan for the day. "We're discussing interrogating unsubs and using threats of violence as coercion today."

"Ah, the light topics of the FBI academy," Aaron sighed sarcastically. "I'd be happy to give my input."

We sat and talked quietly as the class filtered in, some greeting me, while others just quietly sat, preparing for class. As soon as the class began, I called out for quiet and stood.

"As I mentioned last time, we're covering violence in interrogation today." I tended to pace a bit as I lectured, but I was more self-conscious in front of Hotch. I forced myself to relax and act normal. "I want to make it clear, this isn't 'enhanced interrogation' or torture – this is ideas such as shouting, slamming the table, even telling an unsub what may happen to them in prison."

I paused for a moment; last time I'd done this lecture, someone brought up Guantanamo Bay, causing a debate that lasted the entire class period. Luckily, no one did this time.

"To help with today's lecture, we have SSA Aaron Hotchner, head of the BAU. He's faced some awful unsubs and knows how to deal with the worst of the worst."

Hotch stood. "I wouldn't say the worst of the worst, I'm sure there are even more messed up people we haven't caught yet. But I've dealt with everything from bioterrorists to personal attacks, so I've seen a lot."

Of course, someone asked the question I'd been dreading. "What do you mean personal attacks?"

I shot Hotch a look, as if to say, you don't need to answer the question, but he did.

"I'm sure Agent (Y/N) has told you about the Foyet case; an unsub who faked being a victim and fooled us all. He murdered my wife and tried to murder my son." Hotch answered, tone steely. "I actually never interrogated him as an unsub, I killed him before we ever had the chance to bring him in."

Silence. Even pencils and pens stopped moving, as if the word had paused for a moment.

"But," Hotch broke the spell, "Since that's not what we're here to talk about, let's move on."

***

I leaned my head on Spencer's shoulder as we sat, waiting for the agent who would be interviewing us to come up to the interrogation rooms. The team had gone over the facts of the case, and we now sat, waiting. None of met each other's eyes.

The agent arrived. It was another teacher with the Academy who I'd passed in the hall a few times; Vargas, maybe? He gave me a terse nod before walking into the interrogation room.

"Why does it feel like we're the ones on trial?" I muttered.

"Welcome to the federal government and cases involving sexual assault," Emily answered, voice dripping in loathing.