"From this moment until our last?" I wanted what had been given to me. My stupid family duty be damned. I had been wearing the mask for so long that now that I could see how badly it fit. I wanted it off. She shook her head, more tears streaming from her eyes.

"No. You hate me. Prejudice doesn't just go away." She spoke in Orrian as she sniffled, tugging her hands from my own as she buried her face into them. Her shoulders shook with her sobs. They tore at me deeply. How could anyone throw away such a gift? Who would willingly choose a cold relationship over one that I knew would exude warmth and joy? Why would I give up the chance of experiencing the ever elusive love that I had seen as a child?

"I have been wearing a mask of my father's making for a very long time." I couldn't help myself and I trailed my lips across her skin to her ear. "Help me take it off and teach me how to see." Prejudices did run deep but I had never truly hated humans. I didn't have the intense dislike for them like my father had. I was indifferent but I pretended to make my father happy. I just needed her to understand I was willing to throw everything away for a slight chance to finally be in a warm beam of light. I knew it would take time but I was willing to try, to change, for her.

"Get off me please." At the soft plea I slowly moved off her, clenching my hands into fists so I wouldn't reach for her again. She rolled so her back was to me before she curled into a ball.

"Lacey." Her name felt right rolling off my tongue and I wanted to say it again and again as I trailed my lips across her skin, memorizing every curve and dip she had.

"No. You are just going to leave me." She sniffled and I frowned darkly before I stood up. I didn't want to hear any more of that. I reached down and lifted her up, throwing her over my shoulder.

"If there is one thing that you can be certain of, Lacey, it is the fact that I am incredibly selfish. I will always demand and take what is rightfully mine regardless of what or who is the in the way. The Source has given you to me and that makes you mine. You are going to demand I give you up?" I gave a sharp bark of cold amusement. "No, because I do not let go of things that are mine." I never had and I never would. I didn't care what my father would think and it felt freeing. I had been stuck following in footsteps that had always felt wrong to me and now I had a chance to change it. To go my own way.

"No. You are a purist, you hate humans." There was an edge of defiant stubbornness to her words and I started my climb up the hill. She wasn't struggling against me, which helped the ascent greatly.

"No I do not, not as you think I do, and you have until I find this Ghilesh to get onto my page, Lacey." It was the only warning she would get because, human or not, half-breed or not. Lacey was my soulmate and I wouldn't let her go. I didn't care what foolish worries she had because they didn't matter, she did. Even if I had to spend eternity showing her just how much she mattered to me.

"I won't say the words. I won't!" Her defiance had turned into slight petulance and I bit back a smirk at it. Ever the stubborn one. I didn't need to fully know her to understand that her stubbornness would be one issue I would encounter a lot. I looked forward to it. My mother had always agreed with my father. A cold indifferent acceptance but Lacey promised me a fiery chance at more and I wanted to feel that heat for myself.

"Then I will kiss you until you whimper them out." The idea sounded very, very appealing to me and her hand connected lightly with the back of my head right as we reached the top of the hill. Apparently the idea seemed more enraging than appealing to her. However the thought of kissing her made everything go out the window for me. I was now stuck on the thought of what it would feel like.

"Don't you fucking dare. I will bite your tongue off!" She spat the words out and I set her down on her feet, holding her waist before I pulled her close. I liked how she felt against me, her soft form moulding to my hard edges. A perfect fit as if we had been made for each other. I smirked slightly. We had been made for each other and I would turn into a sentimental fool to declare it to her as many times as I could.