Chapter 27

The L.A. Times was flung at her from Taeyang’ merciless hand and in a reflex, her own shot up to catch it midair, already dreading the reason why Taeyang had called them in for an ‘urgent meeting.’

“Care to explain?!” Was all he said once the paper was in her grasp. She flipped it so the front page was facing her, expecting to have to flip through all it’s forty or so pages to figure out the meaning of his question. Turns out the answer came sooner than anticipated.

The second page revealed a title that immediately captured her attention.

‘New CEO Saves Woman and 10-year-old Boy From Late Night Attacker’

Lisa swiftly scanned the snippet of information following the title.

‘Lalisa Manoban - recently hired to replace current Manoban Enterprise Holdings, Inc. CEO, Taeyang Dong Youngbae - rescued a woman and her young brother from home invader early Friday morning, says anonymous source. The man, 27-year-old Chanyeol, is currently under police custody for the assault. Witnesses say the man and the woman he viciously attacked were past lovers and that Chanyeol became aggressive after the relationship terminated. The identities of the victims will remain undisclosed. Witnesses say they are well and recovering from the unfortunate incident. The heroic actions of the young CEO halted the assailant’s chance to cause further harm...’

Lisa had little idea how the media had been made aware of the incident at all. It had been handled professionally, and aside from Roseanne’s nosey neighbors that had stepped out to observe once the sirens of the police cars arrived, no one had known intimate details.

Yet the smile that spread across her lips could not be contained, hard as she tried.

I’m a goddamn hero! Look at me now… mothafucking hero! Jisoo gon be so jealous! I’m fucking Batman! Feared by ALL! Protector of the citizens! The nightmare of my-

“I know you are not finding this amusing!” Taeyang pulled the paper from her hands, leering daggers in her direction. “Not twenty-four hours after I grant you the position and already you’re on the fucking paper?! Did I not tell you to tread with caution, Lalisa?”

Lisa was slightly confused. She didn’t exactly understand what was so concerning. She had been dubbed a hero for goodness sake!

“But… I’m a hero! That’s a good thing, Taeyang!”

Taeyang let his head hang from overwhelming frustration. “Good thing?? You pulverized a man’s face! Not to mention, it somehow leaked and the media got hold of it!”

Lisa sighed, shooting Jiyong a glance that screeched a silent ‘Help me, fucker.’  But as usual, Jiyong remained entirely absent in the conversation; offering no help as she once again faced the wrath of Taeyang.

“Tae, it was never my intention. But what was I supposed to do?! It was self-defense! I had to- “

“How about you let the cops handle it, Lisa! Must you always involve yourself?!” He continued to scold, waving his arms about the air frantically.

“I had no choice! They hadn’t arrived, and he was- “

“For once in your life, must you answer blood with blood?” Taeyang, once again, interrupted her.

“No! I know it was wrong! But if I hadn’t showed up and- “

“As future CEO you have a responsibility to this company! And that means refraining from throwing shit at its name simply because you felt like it! You were out of line and that is unacceptable! You were- “