4:8

"You guys look great," Blaise said once they entered the common room.

"Thanks," Celeste said, smiling. "Who are you three going with?"

"No one," Blaise grinned. "which means I can dance with whoever I want."

"I'm going with Astoria," Draco said. "there she is."

"You're going with my sister -- what!" Daphne stuttered.

"Yep," Astoria said. "the ball is about to start, shall we?"

"We shall," Draco said, linking his arm with Astoria.

"Yeah, let's go," Celeste said.

The entrance hall was packed with students too, all milling around waiting for eight o'clock when the doors to the Great Hall would be thrown open. Those people who were meeting partners from different Houses were edging through the crowd trying to find one another.

"I think I see Hermione," Melody said. "See you guys."

The oak front doors opened, and everyone turned to look as the Durmstrangstudents entered with Professor Karkaroff. Krum was at the front of the party, accompanied by Alicia Spinnet. Over their heads, she saw that an area of lawn right in front of the castle had been transformed into a sort of grotto full of fairy lights - meaning hundreds of actual living fairies were sitting in the rosebushes that had been conjured there, and fluttering over the statues of what seemed to be Father Christmas and his reindeer.

Then Professor McGonagall's voice called, "Champions over here, please!"

Celeste could see Cho and Harry smiling at each other as they walked up and started to talk to Cedric and Julian who both looked delighted that they wouldn't be hiding their relationship anymore.

"Look!" Daphne said, pointing at Cedric and Julian. "I didn't know they were dating!"

Celeste grinned. "They've been dating since like their 3rd year. Cedric told me he wanted to use the winnings to go to New York with him."

"That's so cute," Daphne squealed.

The Great Hall doors finally opened, allowing everyone in. Hermione looked amazing, smiling rather nervously as she linked arms with Melody and walked into the Great Hall. The walls of the Hall had all been covered in sparkling silver frost, with hundreds of garlands of mistletoe and ivy crossing the starry black ceiling. The House tables had vanished; instead, there were about a hundred smaller, lantern-lit ones, each seating about a dozen people.

Dumbledore smiled happily as the champions approached the top table, butKarkaroff wore an expression of deep disgust as he watched Krumand Alicia draw nearer. Ludo Bagman, tonight in robes of bright purple with large yellow stars, was clapping as enthusiastically as any of the students; and Madame Maxime, who had changed her usual uniform of black satin for a flowing gown of lavender silk was applauding them politely.

There was no food as yet on the glittering golden plates, but small menus were lying in front of each of them. Celeste picked hers up uncertainly and looked around - there were no waiters. Daphne, however, looked carefully down at his own menu, then said very clearly to his plate, "Porkchops!"

And pork chops appeared. Getting the idea, the rest of the table placed their orders with their plates too. Did Celeste glance up at Hermione to see how she felt about this new and more complicated method of dining - surely it meant plenty of extra work for the house-elves? - but for once, Hermione didna seem to be thinking about S.P.E.W.

"Mum and dad always bring me and Astoria to fancy restaurants like this," Daphne whispered to Celeste.

When all the food had been consumed, Dumbledore stood up and asked the students to do the same. Then, with a wave of his wand, all the tables zoomed back along the walls leaving the floor clear, and then he conjured araised platform into existence along the right wall. A set of drums, several guitars, a flute, a cello, and some bagpipes were set upon it.