Day 13 - Midnight

I woke up and screamed. There was a loud, repetitive buzzer blaring through the room. The Devas had crawled into my lap, trembling with fear. The room had suddenly grown ghostly— Gundham's pod that had illuminated green was now glowing blue. "Chiaki!" I cried out, more worried than I had been in a long time

"Oh, good, you're awake," Chiaki replied, as relaxed as ever, "I'm sorry I didn't wake you sooner. If I had known this was happening I would've liked to prepare you."

"Prepare me? What is going on?"

"He's ready."

I gasped and clasped my hands to my mouth. I could not believe what I just heard.

"I'll do my best to explain what happens as quick as I can," Was I ready for this? "But first you're going to want to move out of his way."

Without asking questions, the Devas crawled up to my shoulders as I started my scramble. I tossed my bag, book, and reading light hastily on the folding chair, and lifted it up by the seat... slamming the back under my chin. I winced in pain, but continued on, waddling to balance everything on the chair.

"You could've folded the chair, you know."

"Hindsight is two twenties, Chiaki," I retorted

"You mean 'hindsight is 20/20'."

"Now is not the time!"

"You're right," she continued to guide me, "So in a few moments, the latch on the pod will be released and it will open automatically. A cloud of steam will come out of the pod, but don't worry about that, it's just for climate control purposes. When he wakes up, expect him to be disoriented and confused. Suddenly waking up from a coma in a strange room where various memories have been taken out and placed back in your head has been jarring for many of our friends. Normally, I've been the one explaining everything as people wake up, but maybe a live person's words would be easier to process. Are you okay leading the conversation, Sonia?"

So I am going to be the first person he sees after he wakes up. I took a deep breath and said "I think so. But do not be afraid to help me if I am not speaking the facts correctly."

"I would never leave you hanging like that," she affirmed

"Thank you, Chiaki."

"No problem. Are you ready?"

"I think we are," I turned to the Devas, who were as giddy as I was anxious.

"Okay, let's begin," the buzzing finally stopped, being replaced by a chime. After it played, Chiaki's tone changed as well, "The time is now 11:59 PM on Day 13. Sleeping Pod Awakening Sequence for Pod 1, subject Gundham Tanaka: start. Stand clear of the pod."

Another chime played as I heard the sound of a vacuum being released. There is no turning back now. The glass cover slowly lifted to a ninety-degree-angle as what appeared to be clouds of smoke escaped from the chamber. A fitting entrance for The Supreme Overlord of Ice. My hands were clasped in front of my face. My fingers felt my quick, nervous breaths. My eyes were blinking rapidly. What will he remember? Will he even want to see me?

After a few moments of anticipation, Chiaki's voice echoed in the room once again. "Awakening Sequence complete. Hello, Gundham. Welcome back."

And there he was. I could not help but gasp as he slowly rose from the pod, as if he were resurrected. He looked just as I had remembered him, except with disheveled hair, and he was not wearing any eyeliner. I was grinning like a fool behind my hands. The Devas squealed on my shoulders and I felt them start to descend me, crawling onto my arms. I lifted my arms up and whispered "Be patient. Give him a few moments. He or I will signal when it is okay."