Final chapter: A day of wildflowers and roses

A hand glided across my cheek, making me arise from my deep slumber. I opened my eyes slowly, the bright light of the sun blinding me. After a moment of adjusting to the daylight, I looked over to see Chrom at my bedside. He gave me a warm smile at the sight of my awakening. I quickly sat up and nervously looked over to Megan's bed. Seeing that she wasn't there, I sighed with relief. She had seen my kiss with Chrom the day before, and I didn't want her to tease me in front of him.

"Good morning," he started, " how did you sleep?"

"As good as I can in these makeshift beds" I replied, stretching as I did so.
He gave me a sly smirk.

"Being commander has some perks, then. My bed was perfectly comfortable."

I stuck my tongue out at him. "Show off." He laughed at my response and proceeded to rub my back. "What are you doing here anyway?" I inquired, wondering why he had come into my tent this early in the morning.

"What? Am I not allowed to be the first one to wish my wife a Merry Christmas?" He asked.

"No that's fine! Merry Christmas to you too!" I spat out, the realization that it was Christmas just hitting me.

"Haha, did you seriously forget?" Chrom teased.

"S-shut up! I did not!" I protested back.

Suddenly, the flap of my tent opened and Megan walked in. Chrom quickly stood up and distanced himself from my bed.

"What are you doing here?" Megan asked him.

"I-I was just leaving." He stuttered back, heading to the exit as he did. "The shepherds are meeting at the dining tent for Christmas breakfast, so don't be late!" He informed us before he left the tent.

Megan turned to me and shrugged. "He's pushy this morning," she stated as she went over to her bed. She went over to her clothing chest and grabbed a package wrapped in brown paper which I assumed to be Frederick's Christmas present. After closing her chest back up, she turned back to the exit of our tent.

"Where are you going?" I asked her.

"Frederick and I are going to exchange out presents early today, since he will be busy helping in the kitchen." She replied as she exited the tent. I decided it was time for me to get ready as well, so I forced myself out of bed and headed to my own clothing chest, preparing for the day ahead.

...............................................................

Megan's pov:

Megan caressed the brown paper package lightly in her arms as she strode through camp. The early morning air filled her lungs, and though it was chilly, it was also infused with an energy that is most present during the holidays. Everyone was emanating warm Christmas spirit that seemed to banish the cold and welcome cheer. She took a deep breath, let it out, and smiled at her steamy breath. She was so eager to get to Frederick now that she picked up her pace. . . .and practically tripped over Sumia.

They were both startled, and Megan began to apologize, but then Sumia started giggling, and then they were both giggling, and they laid down in the snow like a couple of young girls.

"I'm so sorry, Megan!" she apologized breathily. "I'm always getting in the way."

"Sumia, no! Don't blame yourself, it was my fault this time," Megan laughed. "It seems that I'm not the most elegant Shepard, either." Laying on the ground as they were, she suddenly felt inspired to do something she hadn't done for a very long time. Her arms stretched out into the snow and she began to wave her arms and legs to and fro. "Oh! I haven't made a snow angel like this since I was a child!" Megan exclaimed. "Come on, Sumia, you too!"