f o r t y - s i x

Start from the beginning

"Thanks, mom." Seokjin shoulders loosened, relieved to hear those words.

Ahnjong moved back so she was holding her son by the shoulders. "Have you considered telling your brother now, Jin?"

Worry and hesitation laced into Seokjin's eyebrows and he just frowned.

"I won't force you. I just think he'll have to know one way or another."

"I'll think about it."

Ahnjong liked to think that she was a good mother, doing whatever she could to keep her two surviving babies safe and happy, and providing them the freedom to explore the world at their own pace.

However, that entire image shattered when her younger son pushed past the door an hour later, spitting out the question that made her lose direction for a split moment.

"Was I ever assaulted— sexually, when I was younger?"

Desperate need of a clear mind, she sent Seokjin upstairs for everyone's sake and sat Taehyung down on the couch.

"It was Seokjin. He was assaulted."

She watched the shock that consumed Taehyung's features like a wildfire and the subtle quiver of his jaw.

"What?" He said ever so faintly, "When?"

"The months before your dad left," Ahnjong replied.

"The months." Taehyung's mouth went dry, his thoughts spiraling to more questions. "My brother was assaulted by my dad for months?"

"Honey—"

That was the last straw for him. In two seconds flat, the brunette had bolted for the stairs and bursted into Seokjin's room. "He did what to you?" Taehyung exclaimed.

Seokjin stood motionless by his bed, looking both agitated and vulnerable at the same time. His lips parted, but nothing came out.

"Why?" Taehyung pleaded.

"What do you mean why?"

"C-couldn't you have done something? Told mom? Told me?"

"I was eleven, Tae. You were even younger." Seokjin sounded annoyed now. "You think my eleven-year-old self knew what to do? I didn't think I had a choice!"

Taehyung was too far gone to realize the stupidity of his question.

"It was either you or me," Seokjin continued, his voice rising in ferocity, "Would you rather I let him assault you?"

"Yes, actually," Taehyung yelled with equal intensity, "I'd much rather have that happen to me than you—"

"I should've let you in when you started knocking then!"

"Well I didn't know that was happening in your room!"

"Boys," Ahnjong bellowed, standing at the doorway, "Let's not fight about this, please."

"So what? Was I never gonna know?" This was directed at both his mom and his brother. Taehyung was fuming. "You were just gonna hide this from me for the rest of my life?"

"We didn't know how or when to tell you," Ahnjong said softly.

"So I was never going to know," Taehyung said again.

Seokjin sucked air through gritted teeth. "There wasn't a right moment, okay? What did you expect? Oh happy birthday Tae congratulations on turning thirteen— by the way, I was assaulted by our dad when you were nine— Make a wish!"

"Jin. I need you to breathe for a moment, please." Ahnjong faced him. "Calm yourself down first."

"Sorry..."

"Who else knows?" Taehyung demanded.

Seokjin inhaled, temporarily stabilizing his emotions. "Joonie."

"You told your partner and not me?" The brunette scorned.

"Some things are easier to tell your friends or partners than your siblings!"

"Boys," Ahnjong said sternly.

"No it's fine." Taehyung shook his head in both anger and disbelief. "I guess my own family keeps stuff in the dark from me."

"Tae—"

But he had already stormed out of the room and down the staircase, unwilling to hear any more of the story.

That was the first time he left his brother without saying I love you.

___________

i somehow had this burst of energy and powered through three chapters today so here's one of them. the others aren't edited yet but they should arrive in two or less than two days  :)

btw my friend sent these to her anatomy teacher and—

i wish i had him as a teacher lolll but i switched high schools (for the third time)