Chapter 1.

"I can't do this anymore."

I froze with the fork half way to my mouth. I dropped it. It was suddenly hard to breathe. I rubbed my forehead, shaking my head in disbelief.

"Wait, what do you mean?" I asked trying to not visibly shake. Honestly I felt like all the strength I had had just been washed out of me and I felt sick but I couldn't show it. He didn't deserve to see how devastated he just made me if he truly meant want he just said.

"I said," Dylan sat upright looking me dead in the eye, "I can't do this anymore, I want to break up. Look I know we've been together for a while-"

"A while!" I cut him off mid sentence. "We've been together for five fucking years and you want to break up with me now on our fucking anniversary!" I tried not to yell. We were in the middle of a restaurant. He knew what he was doing. He's smart, breaking up with me in public for it to be easy. Prick.

"Al, listen okay. I don't think this is working out and it's not your fault nor is it mine. We've just grown apart. Our lives are taking different directions and it's getting harder and more difficult to even spend time together. I mean when was the last time we've been in the same country for more than a month?"

"I thought I told you I don't mind that you travel for work." I frowned, I didn't get why he was doing this.

"Yes you did," he paused, "but every time I leave and come back I feel like we drift away like we don't connect any more. I honestly wanted this to work out but. I've fallen out of love with you. I mean I love you we've been through so much and you've been amazing but I am not in love with you any more."

I was dumbfounded. How did I not notice all that was happening around me. Was I too busy with the bakery to see anything. I mean I did everything like I was supposed to. I called everyday. We had sex every chance we got. I never forgot anything important. I was supported him with anything he needed. What went wrong?

"Hey," Dylan brought me out of my thought, "Al, it's nothing you did I want to make that very very clear. You were the best relationship I've ever had or will ever have. It's just I feel like what we both need right now is something different. Something that's not this." He gestured his hand between us. He stood up paid the bill. He kissed my forehead and gave me a sad smile. "I hope you find happiness." He whispered in my ear then left.

______

I tossed the keys in a bowl near the door. I walked through the dark house and entered my bedroom. I staffed my hands in my trench to empty my pockets and felt the small velvet box. I took it out and looked at it. This night didn't go how I planned. I opened it and looked at the silver band with a small diamond in the middle. It was nice and simple. Just the way Dylan would have liked.

I tossed the box on the dresser and took off my clothes. I was still in shock but for some inexplicable reason I wasn't sad. Like you just don't spend five years with someone then when they break up with you and not feel it as much. I should be balling but I couldn't bring myself to cry. I mean it sucked but that's about it.

Maybe Dylan was right. Maybe I was just hanging on to the relationship because it felt... normal. Maybe I'll feel sad tomorrow when everything sets in.

I shrugged my thoughts off and got ready for bed.