2. icecream and to-go ramen

Start from the beginning

"yeah, right. i'll take you home after we get some ramen to-go," suna concludes. i let out a sigh of defeat.

"fine, but i'm paying," i say, looking for some money in my pockets. damn it, i must've left it in my bag at suna's. i must have some money somewhere...

"maybe next time," he responds, watching me scour my pockets for some change. next time, huh? i let out another sigh and nod, accepting the fact that he's gonna pay for my dinner. i rest my chin on my hands, watching suna and maki enjoy their treats.

"did you want some of mine, y/n?" maki asks, holding out her cone. there's some icecream that's melted on her fingers, and her mouth is covered with cookies n' cream.

"i'm good, but thank you maki," i smile. not seeing any napkins, i get up and grab some. i crouch down to maki's level and wipe her face and fingers before letting her resume eating it. she gives me a big toothy grin and thanks me.

"you're welcome," i respond, returning the smile. i throw away the used napkins and slide back into my seat. suna's eyes are on me when i look at him. i point at my cheek, trying to indicate that he had some icecream there. he wipes the corner of his mouth, not getting it. i shake my head and point again. he tries again, and still misses.

"here," i lean over the small table and grab his hand with the napkin, guiding it to the place where the icecream was. "you got it," i say, retracting back to my seat.

"thanks," suna gives me a smile. at first, i didn't make nothing of it, but i do a double take to see that it was gone. he was just enjoying his icecream now. however, the image of his smile remains in my mind, making me feel a little flustered.

damn it y/n, it was just a smile!

i bury my head in my hands to hide this, and when i feel that i've recovered, i look back up.

"are you tired y/n?" maki cocks her head, watching my actions. as if on cue, i yawn. geez, what is up with my body today.

"no, i swear i'm not," i quickly state. "yawns aren't an indication of tiredness, actually. it can be lack of oxygen, or something else. i think it's something else. i swear i'm not lacking oxygen. you know, there's really no knowledge on why we yawn. scientists-"

"y/n," my name escapes suna's mouth, which stops my ramble.

"sorry," i sink into my chair, embarressed.

"let's go get some ramen, hm?" suna motions for maki to get up, and they begin walking out the shop. we thank the cashier, and i quickly walk over to maki's side. she holds her brother's hand with her right, and the icecream cone in her left. we take the short walk to the ramen booth, which had no customers at the moment. it was after 9pm after all.

"order what you want," suna tells me.

i look at him and at the menu.

"a small bowl with pork and an egg please," i tell the cashier.

"that'll be all," suna hands him his card and waits for the transaction to go through.

"it'll be about 5-10 minutes," the cashier tells us, handing us a reciept. we thank him and find a table to sit at while we wait.

"you're not hungry?" i ask the boy who sits across from me. he shakes his head, munching on the waffle cone. "well, thank you. i'll pay you back, i swear."

"it's fine," suna says.

"rin, i'm tired," maki still has rougly half a cone left, but she seems done for the night. she has small amounts of icecream on her face and fingers once again.

"hey, maki, let's go to the restroom, hm?" i get up and wait for her to get out of her seat. she throws the rest of the cone away. "we'll be back soon," i tell suna, heading off with maki to find the restroom.

conveniently, there was one right across the food court. i enter with maki and pick her up to help her wash her hands. i then wet a paper towel and gently wipe her face clean. she seems lethargic.

once i've finished, i wash my own hands and walk out with her. we return to suna and the twins, who now have bags in their hands. maki climbs into suna's lap and closes her eyes. i take a seat next to osamu.

"what'd you get?" i ask them. atsumu pulls out a box and opens it up to reveal a new pair of volleyball shoes.

"i couldn't resist!" he squeals, admiring them. i chuckle softly, soaking in this calm, yet joyful moment.

"did you get the same pair?" i ask osamu, who also has a box in his bag.

"mine has black accents instead of red," he says.

"of course." a soft smile appears on my face as i let my eyes close. they feel a little heavy, but i'm not ready to conk out quite yet. i still have homework after all.

"small bowl with pork and one egg," the cashier calls out. my eyes open and i get up to grab it. once i've returned, everyone else stands up. suna's finished his icecream and carries his sister. she sleeps peacefully in his arms.

we quietly walk to his car, everyone seemingly a little tired. i don't know why the boys would be, but it was nearing my bedtime. and i still had homework to do!

once we've arrived at his car, suna puts his sleeping sister in the middle back. she leans on osamu, who has resumed his previous seat.

"y/n takes the front. i need directions to her house," suna tells atsumu, who takes the back seat in response. i settle into shotgun and feel a little nervous, knowing it was just suna and i in the front. of course, the twins were in the back, but this still felt a little intimate.

"alright, where do we go y/n?" he turns on the engine and waits for my words. i wasn't quite sure where we were to begin with, but i tell him to take the highway. in the meantime, i search for my address on google maps and give him the instructions.

the drive is silent, with only the sound of the drive filling the car.

"can i take aux?" i ask. he glances at me and nods. i grab the aux cord and shuffle a mellow playlist. sit down beside me by patrick watson is the first song to play. suna turns up the volume a few notches and taps his fingers on the steering wheel like earlier.

i watch him mouth the words, mesmerized by how he looks in the low light. even in the daylight i can't say that he doesn't look good.

a low hum comes from him, causing me fall even deeper into the mesmerization. his eyelashes compliment his fox-like eyes, and his jawline looks like it could cut a block of cheese. his side profile is gorgeous, holy shit.

he glances over at me, and closes his mouth from the lipsyncing. i face forward again and close my eyes, slightly embarressed that he saw me watching him so intensely.

the song ends, and the next one plays. it's still silent from everyone in the car, and i'm sure the twins have fallen asleep too. they'd typically be arguing with each other about something stupid. i watch the road and give him more instructions of where to turn as we go along. before we know it, we've arrived at my house.

"thank you," i tell him, holding up the container of ramen.

"yeah, no problem," he says, watching me unbuckle and open the door.

i exit the car, and before closing the door, i tell him, "drive safe." suna nods, giving me a small smile. i return one and walk to my front steps.

his car doesn't leave until i've entered my house.

//

author's note

hehe here's chapter two. i really don't know where i'm going with this, but maybe there will be so twists and turns later in the story. we'll see ;)

let me know what you thought of chapter 2. see u soon!

- m