11. you guys are dating?!

Y/N's POV

practice was practice. aside from the awkward eye contact i'd make with suna, and the oh-so-eager kara watching my every movements, it was enjoyable. i set, my hitters hit, and our side almost won against the starters. if we had, i could've held that over the twins, but unfortunately, we didn't. i blame it on the rust and the men's net.

once everything was put away and the gym was swept, i walked outside to find kara waiting for me. her gaze lasted only a moment before it shifted to the presence behind me— or should i say presences. she waved.

"that was such a fun practice, you guys were really going at it!" she exclaimed. "is that what it's always like, or is that only because you guys are preparing for the upcoming tournament?"

i freeze, causing the twins to stumble behind me. quickly, and as casually as possible, i nudge atsumu and glance back to give him a look that says 'play along.' osamu will catch on, but atsumu might not. suna... i don't know about him. i can just hope for the best.

"it's definitely just for the upcoming tournament," i respond, faking a smile i've used all too much today. i feel atsumu's arm sling around my shoulders, tugging me in and messing with my hair.

"yeah, this girl wouldn't practice with us otherwise," he says delightedly, clearly enjoying my discomfort. i shoot him a subtle glare, but he doesn't seem to notice. or he's ignoring it.

kara watches us with brows furrowed. has she caught on to my lie? how will she react? she could deduce that i didn't want to set her up with suna, and that-

"are... are you two dating?"

i widen my eyes and look at atsumu, who looks at me with the same, confused expression. a laugh appears from next to us from osamu, and beside him is suna, whom i have been trying to avoid. suna's watching us, watching me, awaiting my response.

remembering atsumu's arm around my shoulder, i push him off and shake my head. atsumu seems to distance himself from me too.

"absolutely not." i tell kara. atsumu nods in agreement. a smirk grows on kara's lips and i can just tell that she doesn't believe us.

"i won't tell anyone," she says in an excited, hushed voice. she leans in so that only i can hear her next words, "we could go on a double date!"

i shake my head, putting my hands out. "kara, atsumu and i are not dating, i swear."

"yeah yeah, so you say. i'll keep it a secret, don't worry," she winks. osamu's still snickering, nudging his brother. meanwhile, suna decides to come closer to kara and i, ignoring the twins. he nods at kara in acknowledgment and turns to me, smirking. that stupid, suna smirk.

"is this why you were acting strange yesterday and today? you and atsumu..." he trails off.

"no!" i blurt a little too quickly. "it was just- i-," i look between kara and suna, and kara's staring back at me with pleading eyes. now's a good chance for me to set her up with him, but i do not want to use atsumu in this.

think y/n, think.

i got nothing.

"i get it, i get it," suna raises his hands, as if he understood this situation. "atsumu must've thought we were on a date the other night, hm?" he grins. my eyes flick to kara at those words, but she's expressionless. i close my eyes tight and inhale a deep breath.

"why don't we try a double date then!" i say in my cheeriest voice. the energy it takes to do such a thing is much more than one would expect. "i've always wanted to try it, because 4 is always better than 2, right?" that sounded so, incredibly, stupid.