9. lunchtime

Y/N's POV

lunchtime.

after some intense thinking that took away my attention from the teacher, i decided that it would be best to avoid kara and suna by pretending to be occupied with something else, and who other to do that with than my favorite twins.

once the bell rang, i got up from my desk and made a straight bee-line to the twins' class. when i arrived, i found them at suna's desk.

although i felt my heart rate quicken, i ignored the feeling and approached the twins. not suna, but the twins. 

"wanna go for a walk?" i ask them, avoiding any eye-contact with the black-haired boy in front of me. atsumu looks at me with wide eyes, and glances at osamu. he puts his hand on my forehead, causing me to flinch back.

"y/n... are you alright? you're not sick, are you?" atsumu asks, concerned. i let out a forced laugh and shake my head.

"come on, let's go for a walk!" i say again, this time pulling at the twins' sleeves. eventually, they take a step away from suna's desk, but not before saying something i wish they hadn't.

"you coming?" atsumu asks. 

"no!" i yelp, quickly bringing my hands to my mouth right after. "i meant that i had a private matter i had to speak to you two about, so suna can't come." osamu furrows his eyebrows but doesn't question it. atsumu on the other hand...

"i thought you two were on good terms, what happened?" maybe it was a mistake coming here. i should've just stayed at my desk and let kara pester me with questions.

"we are!" i say, accidentally meeting suna's eyes. he still hasn't spoken, but he watches me curiously. "okay, let's go. it was good seeing you!" i finally acknowledge suna and leave the classroom with the twins. my face feels red.

"where are we going?" the blond-haired boy besides me asks. 

"vending machine." i respond. "i need a drink." the hallways were pretty sparse, thankfully. there was still about 20 or so minutes of lunch left though, so i had to think of something to do.

"what did you want to talk to us about?" osamu questions. a sigh escapes my mouth, but no words. "did suna do something to you?"

hesitantly, i shake my head, which seems more suspicious than anything. atsumu grabs my arm and forces me to face him. he holds a bewildered look.

"if he did something y/n..." he warns. i try to imagine what he might be thinking of, and then it comes to mind.

"no, no! suna wouldn't do that," i wave the boy off, getting even more flustered than i was probably already. "it's just- i don't know." we decided to walk into the school yard, past the vending machine. fresh air was much needed.

"so what happened?" osamu asks again. i look back and forth between the two boys and run a hand through my hair. i trust them, i do, but they're also good friends with suna. they would 100% tell him if i had a crush on him.

not that i do.

but if i did, they would.

"someone wants me to be a matchmaker for her and suna, and i don't know how to approach suna about it," this was partially true. sure, it didn't really explain why i had acted the way i did in front of him, but this was a good enough explanation for now.

atsumu's eyes light up, now interested.

"who?"

" a friend. you don't know her," i state. it would be worse if atsumu decided to meddle in this.

"i see... is her name 'nour yame'?" he smirks, nudging my shoulder. my eyes widen at his suggestion, and i frantically shake my head. osamu notices my discomfort and punches his brother's shoulder.

"oww," atsumu whines. "sorry, sorry," he apologizes.

"just let suna know. girls showing affection towards him isn't anything new," osamu says. i feel my internal self deject a little, but i hide it.

"yeah, i know. it's just, i want this to work," i lie. "she really likes him, and if this doesn't work out, she might think i purposely plotted this."

atsumu scowls, still rubbing the spot on his arm where osamu had punched him. "if she thinks like that, i don't think she's really a friend to begin with," he says.

"you've actually just said something meaningful," osamu mumbles, nodding in agreement. i bite my lip, already knowing this could happen. however, the nostalgia of mine and kara's friendship keeps me from truly believing she would do that. it also makes me just want to please her so that we can be true friends again.

"yeah, you're right," i force a smile and leave it at that. if these boys knew i was going to try and pursue this friendship with kara anyways, they'd be disappointed and try and stop me. i couldn't handle that pressure from them. "lunch is almost over, right? we should head back."

and with that, we walk back as if nothing had happened. we joked about other things, and the twins gushed to me about some competition that was coming up.

looks like i was going to figure this out myself.

//

author's note:

short chapter, but we're getting there! sorry for the lack of updates in the past month, i've been feeling rather unmotivated with everything going on.

however, it's cool that there's still people out here reading my story! i'm hoping to create a new book cover for this soon, so hopefully i can make that happen.

i'll try to update more often. thank you for your continued support! have a good one :)

- m