Arrival

I awoke to the feeling of wind passing me by quickly. I then heard the steady sound of thumps hitting against wood, always consistent for four different sets of thumps.

"Awake now, Atsushi?"

I opened my eyes, only to find out that the four of the green leaves were jumping through the top of the trees. I looked down, seeing how far up we were. I was rather curious as to how we could be this high up and move so fast without breaking tree branches.

"Sorry, are you scared of heights?" The man carrying me apologized.

"No," I answered honestly. I then looked at the other three and found that they looked perfectly at ease jumping through the trees. "Hey, is this some kind of jutsu?"

The three looked at me in surprise, and the one carrying me tensed up.

"You mentioned jutsu earlier. Though I don't know what they are, I know normal people can't do this. Is this a jutsu?" I asked once again.

"Not technically," Minato answered, "It's something we train ourselves to be able to do through hard work and chakra control."

"Chakra?" I repeated, the word completely foreign to me.

"Everyone has it, but in varying amounts," he said, clearly simplifying it for me. "Through physical and spiritual training, one can harness chakra."

I hummed softly as I made a mental note of that. I then asked, "So... What are you?"

"What am I?" He repeated questioningly.

"You're not a doctor, and you're not a farmer..." I trailed off as my brow furrowed. "What are you?"

"We're shinobi," Minato stated.

"Shinobi," I said slowly, the word new to me. I then tilted my head to the side before asking, "Are shinobi like magical knights?"

"Kinda," the black-haired boy answered right away. "We train hard to do different types of jutsu: taijutsu, genjutsu, and ninjutsu are the main three. Taijutsu is physical combat with no weapons. Genjutsu are illusions that trick the enemies. Ninjutsu is different types of techniques that branch into different types of chakra natures - fire, water, earth, wind, and lightning are the basic ones. Of course, we also train to use things like shuriken and kunai."

I took in all of that before asking, "So, if you are like magical knights, then you must have a leader - follow a head shinobi."

Obito nodded eagerly. "We do. He's the leader of our village."

"The shinobi live separately from the leader of the country? Isn't that dangerous? Who will protect them?" I asked curiously.

"There's always shinobi stationed around the daimyō and the rest of the Land of Fire for protection," Minato explained gently.

I was still doubtful that such a tactic would work, but who was I? I was just a kid, and I didn't know about the fine details of the protection of their leader, which has now been sectioned under daimyō.

"Hey, I've been wondering since you said it, but who's Moira?" The black-haired boy inquired as he looked at me eagerly.

I recalled the woman in black clothing like a blurry image now that it had been six years. "She... She's from a book that I like. Moira controlled the fate of everyone in the world, and she was always... dismissive of the human race until the war started signaling the end of her world. She knew that humans started the war that would end her world, and yet she helped a human survive on by giving them a new fate."