"Are you worried?" Marie asked in a small voice. She didn't want this to end. For the first time in her life she felt... safe.

Nathaniel dodged the question with sarcasm. "Worried my friends might try to steal you from me? Yes."

Marie sighed. "Nathaniel... are you drunk?"

"I may have had a little more to drink with Theo before he left."

Marie fought the urge to roll her eyes. Men.

"I'm being serious," she urged.

Nathaniel nodded, finally backing down. "It's going to be okay. Theodore and I talked some more while you showered."

The definitive and overly absolute tone of Nathaniel's words didn't sit right with Marie. "About what?"

"Boys talks. I'm sworn to secrecy." Nathaniel stifled a chuckle.

Marie wasn't having it. "Seriously, Nathaniel."

"Fine." The professor pushed a damp strand of hair away from Marie's face. "We talked about you."

The young student immediately opened her mouth to inquire further, slightly taken aback by Nathaniel's answer.

But Marie was stopped by Nathaniel shushing her against her soft lips. "Shh... everything's going to be okay. I promise."

Marie stilled. Promises were only a catalyst for pain and hurt - she couldn't have the professor making such definitive promises he couldn't keep.

"Nathaniel - "

"I said, I promise."

The look on the professor's face made it clear Marie was not to push the issue any further.

"You reminded me - during a time where I needed it the most - what was missing in my life."

"After darkness, I hope for light," Marie repeated Nathaniel's own phrase, her hand resting on his thigh.

"Exactly." Nathaniel's eyes remained intently on Marie's, dark grey against a warmer brown. "As cheesy as it sounds... you are quite literally my light, Marie."

Marie, overcome by either drowsiness or Nathaniel's soft words, let her body nestle into the professor's chest and arms. She smiled as Nathaniel's arms held her close, allowing herself to take in his warmth and unique scent. Unbeknownst to Nathaniel, as dark as his intentions and desires were, he was just as promising a light to her as well.

"Don't do anything stupid."

"Do I look like a stupid man to you?"

Marie stalled. "You look a bit tipsy"

"Let me take you to bed and I'll prove otherwise."

Marie didn't get the chance to even let out a sound. Nathaniel grabbed her and lifted themselves off the couch, letting Marie's legs wrap around his waist as he balanced her against his arms. The young student let out a small yelp in surprise before faltering into a giggle.

Nathaniel carried Marie up the stairs of his loft, stopping by the main bathroom. He set Marie down on the countertop next to the sink, the smooth marble cold against her bare skin.

The professor pulled out an unused toothbrush from a vanity drawer and handed it to Marie. "Brush up while I shower, alright?"

Marie nodded, smiling. It was domestic moments like this that tickled a part of her heart she never imagined anyone ever could.

Nathaniel stripped from his clothes, letting Marie run her hands over his chest and muscles. She pouted at the professor as he pried himself from Marie's grasps, who was unable to hold back a chuckle.