x x x i v .

Amidst all the drama and romance, Marie was always reminded that at the end of the day she was in college.

That included homework, readings, and finals.

The end of the semester was tantalizing close.

Everything was going smoothly after the off-putting run in with professor Stinton at Theodore's gala. The slight jump in nerves had passed Marie until...

While sitting in her economics lecture, Marie heard her email notification buzz next to her notes. She picked it up, not expecting much - maybe a discount code for her next online purchase.

Instead, the subject line read urgent in all capital letters and was sent from the Wentworth executive board.

Marie's heart jumped in... Surprise? Confusion? Fear?

Fear was most accurate as the student continued reading the email. The president of the college was calling her in for "questioning" on undisclosed but pressing matters - citing it would remain "confidential" and for the "benefit of the school".

It could've been for anything but Marie was expecting the worst.

She couldn't even remember her walk over to the main building that housed the offices of some of the most important people on campus.

Marie thought hard. She was in a highly illicit relationship with her professor. They had gone in public, under a masquerade. If someone had hired a private investigator and photographer it was possible photos existed for proof. But the two had been careful - entering and exiting restaurants from back doors or having Nathaniel's driver shield them as they entered his apartment complex. Even the raunchy film of photographs in Marie's room didn't show her professor's face. And she doubted there was enough to warrant forensic and fingerprint evidence.

Was Marie thinking about this too much? Was she paranoid?

Either way, eventually, she was sitting in the waiting room outside President Stinton's office.

Marie waited, jumping her left leg up and down in jitters. She waited... and waited... until finally the door opened.

"Miss Mor, please come inside," Stinton spoke in a completely unassuming tone and demeanor.

Stinton's office was stark and rather simple, lacking the sensuality and personality that Nathaniel's had despite the similar size and overall structure.

"Please, sit." Stinton gestured to a chair before his main desk politely. The encounter was highly casual but the tone was definitely... off.

Marie sat and cut straight to the chase. "Can I ask why I've been called in?"

"Are you nervous?" Stinton immediately questioned, putting a brief pause to Marie's thoughts.

Who wouldn't be nervous if they were called in by their college's executive board, even if they did nothing wrong? Marie didn't say this though, opting to be more professional. "You're an important man. It's a bit intimidating getting a last-minute email to discuss 'undisclosed' matters."

"Fair," Stinton replied, circling back and sitting behind his desk before Marie. "Well, this is just logistics, Miss Mor. We always vet candidates for this position. You were one of the three students Nathaniel picked out for an earlier event."

Marie chose her words and answers carefully. "He said he would invite whoever got the top three scores on the exam."

"Rewarding students for academic excellence is always good."

What was up with this man's tone?

"Overall, how do you view Dr. Dameron? In regards to him possibly taking my position, of course."

"He's a tough professor but pushes his students to do their best. I could definitely see him doing well in an administrative role. He's very organized and diligent."

Doing her best to sound unbiased and professional, Marie remained still in her seat as she tried to calm her nerves. Stinton didn't seem to be blatantly insinuating anything.

But more importantly, Marie couldn't bear the thought of being at fault for the demise of the professor's goals - and career.

While it was his decision, at the end of the day, Marie felt she was jeopardizing him. It was a feeling she couldn't shake; it plagued her thoughts occasionally but in this moment, it was beginning to scare her.

Yet, Nathaniel always seemed collected and calm. Maybe it was his dominance transitioning into arrogance - Marie couldn't imagine herself being worth all this hassle?

No one had ever wanted her this much before.

At the end of the day, it all came down to proof. And it seemed Stinton didn't have any - otherwise there would be no need for questioning.

That must mean he's looking.

"Do not take this encounter to offense, Miss Mor," Stinton explained carefully. "Nathaniel is a... mysterious man. I just want to know he's right for the job. This college means a lot to me."

No, the money means a lot to you.

Stinton continued his oration. "Not much is known about his personal life and he's not one for publicity, especially in politics."

"I'm not really the one to ask," Marie answered.

"Have you observed his interactions outside of class? With friends, his students, colleagues?"

Marie shook her head, displaying her best naive expression. "He's pretty straight forward and to-the-point with students. He offers help if needed - like any decent professor who cares about their job."

Stinton nodded, diverting his gaze from Marie and onto the papers on his desk. Marie didn't try to peek a look despite her curiosity.

Marie had to tell Nathaniel this meeting with Stinton happened. He had to know the man was going around -

"Oh, and Marie."

Looking up, Stinton caught the young girl's attention. "Do not let Professor Dameron know about these questionings."

Wait...these?

"Ah, yes, I meant to mention." Stinton shuffled around some papers on his desk. "I plan on bringing in a few more of his students and some colleagues... maybe those you are close to in class?"

Marie blinked a few times. What?

"What were their names... the other two at the conference... Miss Harmon and Mister Tanner?"

With a rush of unsettledness, Marie could only nod. She could tell Stinton was trying to read her expressions, but Marie didn't let anything show. There was nothing to show. She had mentally completely separated the professor in her lectures and the man in her bed.

Stinton eventually guided Marie out to the elevator, going on about his respect and dedication for the school. It all went over Marie's head, as her mind was tackling multiple worries and doubts simultaneously.

All she knew was that despite Stinton's words to her, Marie had to tell Nathaniel.