Prologue...

REMEMBER THAT THIS IS NOT MY STORY BUT IT IS KATHRYN LASKY'S. OR BASED OFF HER BOOKS ANYWAY! SO PLEASE, DON'T REPORT THIS STORY, LIKE I SAID, THIS IS BASED  OFF HER STORIES!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         Rain poured down in thick sheets. A pregnant she-wolf with a russet pelt fled in hopes to escape the Obea. She found an old bear den. Thank Lupus it's unocupied, she thought. Heading into the very back of the cave, she began to nestle down. Oh, Lupus, she thought, Let the rain cover both my track and scent, please. She prayed silently. She was desperate.

        Making her way around the steep bank, the Obea was hard on the she-wolf's tail. The mud made a fair trail, and it didn't wash away the tracks completely. The smallest indents in the ground were deciferable, if one had good eyes. Being barren had made she herself fell cursed in some way.

        Her head was held low to the ground, sniffing although little scent remained. She soon came before a den, an old bear den. She noted no scent of a bear still living there, but she did smell a she-wolf, and she saw the water tracks that led inside. There was no escaping Haila.

        Four hungry pups squirmed to get to Gingera's milk. The biggest of the four had a pitch black pelt. just like her father...she thought. the next one was a male, with a deep brown coat and reddish spots here and there. the third was another female, a russet one with a black patch on her left hip. the last one, who was yet another female, was russet, with a black underbelly and thick black-ringed eyes. it was the smallest one who was last to come, with a red and black pelt. but it was the third one who was the malcadh. but Gingera saw no deformity, despite the upturned paw. none whatsoever. She cringed immediately after looking up. The Obea Haila stood before her.

        Haila examined the pups, but she didn't need a second glance to see the malcadh. Gingera began to sob as she watched Haila pluck the russet and black-patched wolf away from her teat. The deformed pup curled up in a ball as she felt herself picked up gently by the Obea.

        The Obea walked out into the storm, and about a half-mile out, she set the pup down beneath a large boulder. one that was sure to collapse soon. and if it didn't, the pup was sure to be seen by something. The black patch would give it away, or maybe the russet fur...