Don MacDuff

Budahine kept talking to Tann. "We will have to cross the river first. Then we must go around the Black Glass Desert and then around the Ring of Sacred Volcanoes. Do you know about the Ring, Tann?" He asked.

Tann had found herself feeling a little disappointed that she was not a MacDuncan, but she wasn't about to complain. Maya had taught her not to make any complaints. She figured the MacDuff would have to be just as good.

"Sickle told me a little bit about them. But I don't really know much." She replied.

"Oh," Budahine said. "Well, to be honest only malcadhs who have earned their place there really know more about it than us. But it won't be easy for you to get there." He paused. "Did Sickle mention anything about carving bones?" He asked.

"No. But my Mother has seen wolves do it." Tann replied, wondering if Budahine had ever walked in silence before in his entire life.

"Oh, you mean that cougar?" He asked curiously. Tann only nodded a reply. She missed Maya already, and Plum and Basil. She even missed Gorge, despite how strict he seemed.

"You know, you're awful small for a wolf. or at least that's how it looks to me." Budahine commented. "What did they feed you?" Tann didn't bother to answer his question. So he shrugged and continued talking.

...

Finally they had made it to the MacDuff territory. Tann couldn't have been more relieved to see the Pack. "Well, here we are." Budahine announced. "I'll get you introduced to the Chieftain." The two wolves trotted up to Don MacDuff's den. "Wait here." Budahine said before walking inside.

Long moments seem to pass for Turalann. A few pups came up to her. Two of them were gray with mixes of brown in their fur. the other one was tawny-yellow.

"Who are you." The tawny-yellow one asked. Although Tann found herself with no time to answer as the three pups were called away by their mother. Tann found herself missing home even more. After a while longer, Budahine came out, Don MacDuff by his side.

"I thought Chieftains usually stayed inside their dens when meeting with another wolf?" Tann commented. Don MacDuff cast his gaze over Tann, disapproving of her manner. "Oh." Tann said, suddenly, remembering the submission rituals. She began to sink to her belly before she dug the side of her face into the ground and flashed the whites of her eyes, making certain her tail was tucked tight between her legs.

Don MacDuff was a large brown wolf with a gray-white underbelly. He looked rather young. He looked Tann over again. she was beginning to grow rather uncomfortable beneath his gaze. Then he answered her. "Yes, usually, but I've always preferred to meet with whoever it is outside. It's always good to get some fresh air." He flicked his ear in dismissal to Budahine, who, in turn, bowed his head slightly in a show of respect before trotting off back to his pack.

"Galida, fetch Sleyt for me, if you would." Don MacDuff ordered. Galida, a silvery-gray wolf with flecks of black on her forehead, nodded and walked off to do his bidding. "I am Don MacDuff, son of Duff MacDuff, and Chieftain of the Long Grass Pack. When Sleyt gets here, he will teach you whatever you need to know. You'll learn as time passes what it is to be a Gnaw Wolf. "