Part 6

From the command center, Obi-Wan and Anakin had tapped into the security footage and watched the announcement play out in the mess hall. It didn't help their confidence as far as their age went; even with the mediocre camera quality, they could see how funny the troopers thought the de-aging situation was. Still, seeing all of the men greeting Ahsoka so warmly made them smile.

"I think she may be the only civilian to receive that kind of treatment from them," Obi-Wan noted as they closed the footage down.

"She's the only one who's earned it," reasoned Anakin. "Not even we would have been welcomed like that the day we met them."

"No, but you certainly look the part today."

Anakin glared at him, but he really didn't need to. Obi-Wan was far worse off than he was, and if they thought he was bad, beardless buzz-cut Kenobi was hysterical. They were lucky they weren't even younger. If they had been ten or younger, they wouldn't have even been let on board the cruiser, but if they had been fourteen, this whole mission would be a disaster. At least the Jedi still looked somewhat like adults right now, but full-fledged teenagers? Especially at the age Ahsoka had joined at? They'd never hear the end of it.

Tugging at his robes, Obi-Wan groaned. "These don't fit quite as well as they used to."

Anakin looked toward the door. "We should have some spare robes in the cabins, once we get let out of here. You might be able to switch them out."

"There's no point if we're going to find this machine. Hopefully, in a few hours, we'll be back to normal anyway."

"Hopefully," he agreed, "but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets more complicated than that. Grievous wouldn't make it that easy on us."

Rex and Cody walked back in, slightly more composed than the first time they saw the Jedi. At least this time, they didn't freeze. "Everyone should be headed to the barracks for night shift," Cody announced, "so you won't have too much trouble for a few hours."

"That's a relief," Obi-Wan sighed, standing up. "Where did Ahsoka run off to?"

"She said she was going to sleep through night shift. Something about a microwave explosion last night?"

Anakin shook his head, trying not to grin. "Civilians," he groaned, making the other three laugh. "I'll do engine checks sometime later, but I think we'll stay up through the night shift. We got to sleep on the way to Coruscant. When's debrief?"

"A few hours before we drop out," Rex remembered, "but you don't need to the checks, Commander Tano said she's on it."

He looked down to try to hide his smile, but it was so obvious to all of them. Ahsoka had slid right back into old routines without so much as a nudge in that direction. Anakin hadn't expected her to do it, but he wouldn't have stopped her if she had asked. As it turned out, she hadn't even bothered to consult anyone before doing it anyway. It seemed that old expectations were still in play, and something about that made the mission feel that much more familiar. Just like old times. 

"We'll see you then," Obi-Wan told the clones, drawing attention from Anakin. The soldiers nodded and excused themselves, probably to crash for the night. When the doors closed behind them, he turned to Anakin. "Do you perhaps want to smile a bit wider?" 

Laughing, Anakin stopped trying to hide it. "Old habits die hard, I guess. That, and she's a full-time mechanic now."

"You trained her well," Obi-Wan reminded him, smiling himself. In all honesty, he didn't mind the sight of Anakin smiling. Five years ago, when he was as old as he looked now, he wasn't nearly close enough with Ahsoka to smile that softly about her. "Do you think you could spar for an hour or so? I'm still not used to...this," he admitted, gesturing to his own shruken figure.