5. Syrup

As my heart and lungs started to rest and gain back some strength, my eyes were still resting upon the blue-white water crashing down onto the yellow sand. The clash of the colors forever engraved in my mind.

"Ahhhh!", my attention turns startling to my door as I hear a girlish striek echo down the hallway. I jump from my place, wipe my eyes and open the door-- prepared for the worst. Once I got a clear view of
what was happening, my smile slowly crept back onto my face. It was just Kayla. The mummering of joyous conversation floating down towards me in almost intangible words. I walk out towards them, slightly grabbing at my arms.

Kayla turned towards me and gave me a hug, "I'm so excited!!".

I loosen up my tense posture and soften at her kind heart, "I can't wait for the wedding either!". The conversation continued on about what was going on in everyone's lives, mostly Kelly asking Kayla about her college plans. Gray already retired to the living room where Wilder took back his spot on his chest to cuddle while watching a child's show.

"I know it's a little early, but we were thinking of a spring wedding" Kelly says to Kayla and I who were staring at her with puppy-dog eyes for information at this point. We both oooo'd at the idea, "Are you going to have it here, or in your hometown?" I asked. "I'm thinking here, Gold Haven is just so beautiful, plus Tide Pool is an amazing venue", Kelly replied with a shining smile. Kayla continues on, "Speaking of Tide Pool, Autumn and I do have to start getting ready for Bon Voyage Bonfire". "Oh okay, well you guys be safe okay?" Kelly said while hugging us, the smell of jasmine being left in her absence. I replied, "Always!" while Kayla grabbed my arm and turned us both back down the hall towards my room.

Although Kayla and Kelly made me feel better, my heart still felt heavy. My mother, who is still probably asleep, is upstairs battling her own mind and for all I know, could be losing. The sudden change in demeanor caused Kayla to study my expression for a second.

"Having a hard day today?"

"Just kinda tired", I say while raising the corners of my lips slightly to a more comforting tone.

She smiles softly, "It's okay, we don't have to go tonight"

I shake my head, "No, no, we are the guests of honor for once. We have to go"

Her smile grows into a grin and she slightly chuckles, "If you say so"

We both moved around my room effortlessly. Although the walls were far emptier than they were before, us being in my room made it warm. Inviting, familiar, home. Kayla connected to my speaker and turned to me, "Ready to get this party started?". I smile widely, knowing what was about to happen, "Always". She put on Cough Syrup by Young the Giant and threw her phone onto my bed, moving her arms in the arm like an airplane. I started to smile while she twirled and I moved towards her. We both started singing into our imaginary microphones, acting like we are on a stage together. Once the music slowed down slightly after the chorus, she grabbed my hands and made me twirl before jumping on my bed to sing the verse. I laugh while my heart is filled with happiness. We started to yell the lyrics in my room, as if the rest of the world was gone. My eyes covered in gold coloured glasses, my smile brightening the room around me. In the instrumental part, we both played fake instruments along with it. She smiles at me when the music ramps up before pointing at me and singing the next part. I jump onto the bed and we jump, dance, twirl and sing until we are out of breathe. In the softer ending, we are laying on my bed looking at the ceiling singing softly along. Once the song ends, we were both panting for air, grinning so hard that our cheeks hurt.

I say to Kayla while still staring up, "Always works, never fails"

"What's not broken, don't fix it", she said while sitting up. Her phone continued to play music, but now it was a pregame playlist.