13 | Craving the Warmth

Start from the beginning

Oh, no worries, I just think that maybe my roommate is a criminal?

Yeah, something told her that Griffin would not take kindly to such words. And who was she to bring him such a problem on a day that was meant to be happy? Not her. Not yet.

"On and off," she replied, apologizing mentally when she tacked on the lie of, "Finals are coming up, and a stressed Beverly is apparently an insomniac Beverly. I'll be good to go once winter break is here."

You know, so long as my roommate doesn't get me murdered and all that shiz.

She melted into his touch when Griffin placed his hand on her thigh and squeeze gently. "If you need to get away from your dorm for a while," he began, his voice so quiet that she could barely hear him over the car's engine, "you can always come and stay at mine for a bit. Just . . . just let me know first, and then I can make sure nothing happens to you."

Recalling the many shady characters hanging around his apartment, Beverly cringed, but nodded nonetheless. "Thanks, Griff, I will." She meant it, too. God knew she'd rather risk the folks outside Griffin's place then have them find her in her own room thanks to Deb's, er, connections.

"Anything for you, Beverly," the words were resolute, and she swallowed down a shriek that likely would have made any super-fan of a pop singer jealous.

"Be careful," she teased to cover up the feelings bubbling in the back of her throat, "keep saying things like that and you'll never get rid of me."

Griffin chuckled huskily, his thumb stroking over her leg, and she swallowed. "That's the goal."

And then, as if he hadn't just dropped such a damn bomb of flirtation right onto her, he pulled his hand from her leg and refocused his entire attention on the road, leaving Beverly to gape at him from her seat for the remainder of the drive, wondering where his shyness had run off to.

***

Griffin glared his way through a group of five men that were loitering near the apartment building's staircase. Beverly was firmly tucked into his side, and she did her best to stay as small as possible, only relaxing when Griffin had locked his apartment door behind them.

Her gaze strayed to the lumpy couch, and she smiled at the thought of sinking into its warmth and snoozing away; however, before she could head in that direction, Griffin tugged her to the back of the apartment and patted his bed.

"What?" she asked, looking between him and the bed with confusion.

Griffin smiled shyly. "I think the bed would be a bit more comfortable, don't you?"

Her brows rose, the she was inwardly touched by the gesture. "Your bed? Wow, you are a really good friend, Griffin. In fact, I'd say you're definitely on your way to 'best friend'."

He chuckled lowly, pulling the covers back and waiting as she peeled off her shoes and thick jacket before he helped her in. "Noise does travel, since it's a studio," he warned, "but I'll try to be quiet."

Beverly waved a hand through the air drowsily. "No worries, Griff. I won't have a problem falling asleep, I think. I'm zonked, dude."

He caught her flapping hand in his own and pressed his lips against her knuckles. Had she not been so tired, she would have shot out of the bed at the enticing feel of his chapped lips against her skin. "Sweet dreams, Beverly." He tucked her hand by her side, under the covers, and then his warmth was gone, and she faintly heard him padding away.

***

When Beverly woke up, she felt more rested than she ever had in her dorm room with Deb's antics and a shitty lock. She stretched languidly in Griffin's bed, enjoying the extra space the queen-sized mattress had to offer compared to her cramped twin. She didn't see Griffin in the immediate area, but—judging by the murmuring coming from the living room—she had a feeling he was watching TV.

Heaving herself from the bed but remaining wrapped up in Griffin's soft blue comforter, she shuffled forward, uncaring that her hair and outfit were a mess. After all, if Griffin hadn't wanted to see her as a sleepy gremlin, he wouldn't have invited her to take a nap in the first place.

Or, that's what she was telling herself, anyway.

As she'd suspected, Griffin was settled on the couch, his sock-clad feet propped on the small coffee table as he watched television. His head turned when he heard her footsteps, and his smile was so soft and full of adoration that she almost melted on the spot at the sight.

Feeling even braver than usual, Beverly settled on the couch directly next to him, still nestled in the blanket even as she cuddled into his side. Griffin, thankfully, was more than accommodating, throwing an arm around her shoulder and tugging her closer, until her head was tucked into the crook of his neck and his warmth was chasing away even the slightest hint of a chill.

"Good?" he asked after several peaceful moments slipped by, his voice barely a whisper.

Beverly smiled into his neck, closing her eyes and soaking in the tranquility of the situation. "Good." 

***

A/N: 

Oh, they cute cute. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But hey, not nearly as cute as you. 

(whooo, pretty smooth, amirite?)

Follow me for more great lines: